A plumbing story (gutter was filling my spa)

djibouti

Dec 9, 2021
San Francisco Bay Area
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After every big rain since I moved in, the spa would overflow. The level would rise a factor or 4-5 more than the advertised rainfall, and the little drain didn't seem to do much. Eventually it would drain back down, so I assumed it was just an insufficient drain, but my chlorine would also get eaten up and I'd get nasty water. Eventually, while sitting in the spa on a rainy day, I noticed a strong stream of cold water coming out of the drain hole!

I came to my trusty TFP website and used ye olde search, and immediately found the likely culprit: a clogged storm drain!

Snaking gave no relief (the snake kept finding its way to the drain hole in the spa), so eventually I started digging. What did I find?! Some amazingly brilliant contractor had plumbed the roof leader from one of the gutters directly to the spa drain, *AND NOTHING ELSE*. That's right... straight line from gutter to spa. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not split off into any other storm drain pipes.

The only reason it had ever drained was because at some other point someone else (possibly intentionally, under the circumstances!) had broken straight through the underground storm drain pipe with what appears to have been a spade. This leak was the only reason anything ever drained in that spa!

To say I have no questions would be a lie, but I daresay that no one on this forum can answer my questions. Hopefully someone gets a kick out of this. I apologize if there's a rule about posting a story without a question.

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Do you just have a 1500 gallon spa with no pool?

Interesting story. Just more stupid builder tricks.

Some amazingly brilliant contractor had plumbed the roof leader from one of the gutters directly to the spa drain, *AND NOTHING ELSE*. That's right... straight line from gutter to spa. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not split off into any other storm drain pipes.
Definitely illegal and against building code.

You can request all permits issued to your residence to see what is permitted and what passed inspection.

Definitely illegal and against building code.

You can request all permits issued to your residence to see what is permitted and what passed inspection.
I actually have the permit for this in front of me. It was permitted, but the only inspection note is for the plaster. There's no sign off on plumbing. I don't think I have anyone I can yell at about that, seeing as this was in 1991.

If you have a time machine and go back to the 80/90s in the SF Bay Area, do not use Pools with Panache.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.