12 May 2024 Equipment and Controls While Thin Set Dries

Am I missing anything?
It would be super nice to have the SWG talk to/ controlled by the automation. Pretty sure the intellicenter saves you the $400 IC60 controller and makes it close enough in price to the RJ-60.

Every other detail is a Wowzers from me. (y) Even the fans. They are Decapitater9000s. Make sure they’re high. :ROFLMAO:

10 July 21 Update

Folks,

I'm filling out the online design questionnaire from DIY pools. It's incredibly detailed and thought-provoking plus requires I upload all kinds of documents and photos of the lot. One thing I'm thinking about right now is initial fill for the pool. My guess is I'll end up with ~ 20,000 gal requirement. Fill is from two wells that are 15 gr/gal Total Hardness with softener capacity limitations of about 1000 gal per day max. So I'm thinking to truck water in or to purchase from the county fire hydrant through a temporary meter. I've seen companies that do this for sidewalk pressure cleaning. City water is pretty low TH ~ 3 gr/gal or less. My treated fill water will be <1 gr/gal with <1 ppm iron. Has anybody purchased trucked in water or fire water for first fill on pool? How did it go and what should I look out for?

Thanks.

Chris

The iron alone would be enough for me to really look into trucking in water. The main thing to watch for it is the care they use with the first load so make sure it does not hit the brand new plaster in one, concentrated area.

Reactions: Newdude
Ours was trucked in. I don’t recall the makeup but it was from a Baltimore City water system hydrant which is pretty good water. I ran my well overnight since the trucks weren’t coming till morning. But onbalance has said several times that a period after plaster is good for it before water. Maybe it was 12-24 hours? Though weather would be a factor I suppose too.

I never buy anything pricey without checking out Consumer Reports.
Be careful, they love the LG fridges as an example and they have linear compressors that suck and now have to be warranted for 10 years cause they will fail (big class action lawsuit on that) and you deal with lost food and a PITA. I use them to see what they say but their opinions but real word feedback is always great. How we cant build a fridge, dishwasher or washing machine that can last anymore is a crime. Speedqueen on washing machines but my father, who's 88, still has the refrigerator we had in our basement from the 60's. It's still going strong and stay cold as balls.

Has anybody purchased trucked in water or fire water for first fill on pool? How did it go and what should I look out for?

I filled my pool with 4 loads from a 7,000 gallon water truck. We got the hoses from the house running while waiting for the truck. Then did the final top off from house water.

All went well other then the truck breaking down on the road so it took until after 10PM to complete the job.

IMG_0155.JPG

I filled my pool with 4 loads from a 7,000 gallon water truck. We got the hoses from the house running while waiting for the truck. Then did the final top off from house water.

All went well other then the truck breaking down on the road so it took until after 10PM to complete the job.

View attachment 353859
Thanks Allen,

I guess I'll need to look into water suppliers around here as well as the fire hydrant meter. I've got a while to figure it out though since we only get our first set of concept drawings from the pool designer next week.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Folks,

I'm expecting my preliminary pool design documents any day now. One thing I'd like to learn more about is the knife edge design. I spoke with several pool designers about this during my design company search and it seems there are at least several different ways to accomplish this and all of them have some sort of channel just outside the pool edge where water over-flows to a pipe just beneath the surface that then flows to the filter pump suction. In my case it will flow to the infinity edge catch basin. Also, seems like pool edge must be very level for this to work well. Any thoughts or experience on what best designs are that work well? I'd like to have it as small of a channel as practical but also easy to clean. Pool will be completely screen enclosed so I'm not over-concerned with leaf debris etc.

Thanks.

Chris

Any thoughts or experience on what best designs are that work well
@DB-Cooper has one, Errrrr, I believe it’s a negative knife edge, or reverse knife edge, or, I don’t care it’s SICK !!!!!!!! But regardless of the angle of the coping I imagine all the plumbing and stuffs behind the scenes is the same. Or maybe because of the angle, less overflows and doesn’t need to be caught ? Anywho he probably looked at all his options and might know.

Last edited:
Reactions: irvingtho
@DB-Cooper has one, Errrrr, I believe it’s a negative knife edge, or reverse knife edge, or, I don’t care it’s SICK !!!!!!!! But regardless of the angle of the coping I imagine all the plumbing and stuffs behind the scenes is the same. Or maybe because of the angle, less overflows and doesn’t need to be caught ? Anywho he probably looked at all his options and might know.
Thanks New, I remember looking at his threads. I'll check to see if he had knife edges.

Reactions: Newdude
Just to clarify this is similar to what I'm trying to accomplish except the pool is rectangular with a spa on one end and sundeck at the other with an infinity edge in the back toward the lake. The sundeck and spa would also be at pool level and not raised as shown below:

1626534999797.png

1626535362323.png

1626535757825.png

Last edited:
Wow, sorry I am late to this thread. Just a few points.

So I guess you are staying in S. Florida based on what I have seen. Are you going to have NG run to the house or bury a propane tank? There are other ways to do mosquito control other than a screen enclosure. We can talk about those as well.

You also mentioned sub zero for appliances. Do whatever you want on appliances, but I would stay away from a built in fridge. You basically get to pay $10K for a $2K fridge. Maybe a rounding error in the build price, but when it breaks it will make you angry.
I totally agree. Fridges are throw away my buddy’s and my dad’s buddy’s always say when building homes. We did Wolf for stove, warming drawer, and hood. Miele for dishwashers. Fridge. Largest I could find that wasn’t built in and my buddy build it in since he built all my cabinets in my house.

Howdy Howdy!

I've got a reverse knife edge, and I get a lot of complements and praise for it. It's not an infinity, but it gets the job done, and I don't have the aeration/pH issues nor the extra pump of an infinity. Overall I'm happy with it, but when the water level is real high, I do have to be mindful with kids in the pool, particularly with floats. I also lose more water over the edge of it than if I had a normal coping type design, but honestly I don't lose that much. I had 16 kids in the pool today for a 6 year old birthday party and barely sent any water over, I lost more water on the pool deck than over.

Visually it's stunning, and I definitely recommend it. Given I have no view/angle of the backside of my pool, an Infinity edge would be a waste of money for me. You can see my build thread in my signature for pictures.

19 Jul 2021 Update

Here's the photo's of our preliminary design showing how it works with the house. Looks to me they nailed it! Any suggestions?

C

Attachments

• View from above1.0_003.jpg
    View from above1.0_003.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 125
  • View from end1.0_014.jpg
    View from end1.0_014.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 121
  • View out back 1- CD 1.0_015.jpg
    View out back 1- CD 1.0_015.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 114
  • View out back 2 1.0_016.jpg