A few winterizing questions/clarifications

Alright thanks! Do you plug those holes w/ anything in case snow, ice, or insects get in there or anything?

It's not necessary to plug any of the holes (I don't know anyone who does). As far a pressure gauge, plugs, etc., mine are left inside the pump (in the basket) so I know exactly where to look for them in the spring.

As an fyi, when the pool company closes pools they let the air run through the pipe for about a minute then air lock the main drain (by turning a valve to closed) or plugging a return with the black expansion plugs mentioned.

It's not necessary to plug any of the holes (I don't know anyone who does). As far a pressure gauge, plugs, etc., mine are left inside the pump (in the basket) so I know exactly where to look for them in the spring.

As an fyi, when the pool company closes pools they let the air run through the pipe for about a minute then air lock the main drain (by turning a valve to closed) or plugging a return with the black expansion plugs mentioned.

Cool, good deal, thanks!

I have been stressing about the skimmers. I have gizmos in each right now. My water is 8 inches below my tile line. My pool builder wants me to keep it a min of 4 inches below all winter to protect the tile. My plan is to keep water level down like he said with pumping as needed and I’m also shop vac out any water that has been getting in skimmers. I’ll cont this for as long as I can. He said once that is impossible he will do the bottle of antifreeze thing. Bit for now we r just monitoring. He said he has never had a skimmer blow out on him. So I’m going with it for now. They didn’t use any antifreeze in my lines. He blew everything out and capped everything or vacuum closed with valves for my bottom return and drains.

If the skimmers have Gizzmo's in them, do not worry. You can add some foam rope as a secondary measure. They are designed to protect the skimmers. They also make pumps to keep on the steps that turn on when water reaches a certain level. You may want to invest in one of those or pump out manually and then track the rain in a separate bucket. If you lower the water 6" below where need to be, leave a bucket outside. When the bucket fills up 4" or so, pump more water out of the pool and start all over.

I measured the other day when I brought it back down. I’ll check under the cover every so often. I have an easy section in the deep end I can get to in order to drop in my pump to get water out or to put down there to mix chlorine if need be. Yesterday I did put it on the swim out bench to pump out water and it worked nice.

So those gizmos work well? They just don’t look like they would do a lot.

Thats good to know.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.