A few newcomer pool management questions.

ilovemypool90

Sep 13, 2022
Dallas, TX
Hey everyone. This blog has been HUGE in helping me set up my pool. So many contradictions between people so I just stuck with it and can safely say I'm in control of my pool chemistry after four weeks of pool ownership. So that's not what this is about. I just have a few pool management questions. I've searched the site and can't seem to find direct answers to these. Live in TX so it is hot.

1) Running the pump. It seems like you should run it during the daytime summer heat. But also, at night when the LC goes in. So, it's been running a lot. Does LC need to be added in the evening or is that just cal hypo. Any advice?

2) Chlorine pucks.
a) Storage. I know there is a strong dislike for these around here, but I bought some my first trip into the pool store. It did help raise CYA so there's that. Where can I store these puppies? Seems like garage is a no go, shed is a no go, and outside is a no go (due to heat).

b) Using them. I have a lot of pucks now. If I just keep using them I'm assuming the CYA will just go up and up? So I should use them very sparingly since my pool will be open year round?

3) Muriatic Acid. I think unopened bottles seem relatively harmless since there is a seal. So I've been keeping them in the pool shed with some packs of shock (another first trip to store purchase). But seems unwise. And definitely a no go if they are open. So, if you have an opened bottle, how do you store it? Some responses say well-vented area (without any metal or not in a garage/shed) and some say in an airtight container since the bottle is "vented".

4) The big freeze. If another big freeze comes along and I don't want anything to break, what do I do?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
LC can be added anytime of the day. Pump should run a minimum of 30 minutes after adding. Preferable to add at approx the same time each day.
Pucks can be stored anywhere with a good sealing lid. Keep them dry. Use them when you will be away from your home for more than a few days. Soon you will tire of the LC and pucks and get a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.
Be ware of Cal Hypo 'shock'. Most dangerous chemical for a pool. I suggest using it and not storing.
MA should be stored by itself, in a plastic container, outside, away from all metals. The bottles are vented, new or open.
There is a wiki Preparing Pool for Cooler Months - Further Reading and video
. The biggest item is learning how to drain your surface equipment. Do it now when it is warm.

Welcome to the forum.
LC can be added anytime of the day. Pump should run a minimum of 30 minutes after adding. Preferable to add at approx the same time each day.
Pucks can be stored anywhere with a good sealing lid. Keep them dry. Use them when you will be away from your home for more than a few days. Soon you will tire of the LC and pucks and get a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.
Be ware of Cal Hypo 'shock'. Most dangerous chemical for a pool. I suggest using it and not storing.
MA should be stored by itself, in a plastic container, outside, away from all metals. The bottles are vented, new or open.
There is a wiki Preparing Pool for Cooler Months - Further Reading and video
. The biggest item is learning how to drain your surface equipment. Do it now when it is warm.
Thanks @mknauss . Appreciate it! And I already feel the SWCG tugging at me.

Thanks @mknauss . Appreciate it! And I already feel the SWCG tugging at me.
Jim’s question about type of pump is an important one. If you have a variable speed pump, then it’s likely possible to lower the speed and energy consumption dramatically, while still having all the benefits of a higher speed.

If not a variable speed pump, then don’t fall for the turnover myth. You only need to run your pump as long as it takes to properly skim, mix chemicals after addition, etc. I run my VS pump 24/7 at 1400rpms - using only 196 watts.

There’s no right or wrong answer to pool pump run time - you don’t “need“ to run it during the day or night. Whatever works best for you, for the results you’re after…

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.