A few air bubbles in Pump Basket Normal?

Ejosh87

May 11, 2019
Florida
I was a little unsure regarding air bubbles in the pump basket. I know we definitely don't want air going through the lines, however, can someone give me their opinion on the below:

When I check my Superflow VS Pump Basket I notice a few air bubbles (usually when higher RPM speeds). The returns, however, don't have bubbles coming out (except in the very first few mins of turning on). This happens with both the Suction Vacuum or Skimmer going. Are there supposed to be no air bubbles visible at all or is this normal?

I've checked the connections and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that air could be getting in.

Normally there are less/no bubbles when the filter is at higher speeds. At lower speeds mine has a few. Higher speed bubbles could be evidence of a suction side leak somewhere. Are you skimmers full and not able to suck any air?

Normally there are less/no bubbles when the filter is at higher speeds. At lower speeds mine has a few. Higher speed bubbles could be evidence of a suction side leak somewhere. Are you skimmers full and not able to suck any air?

What do you mean if they are full and not able to suck any air? Want to make sure I check right thing. Water level is well above the basket if that’s what you mean. I have opening to skimmer filled about 3/4 the way up and floating weir since no door.

It has been like this for awhile and never thought anything of it but figure now I should investigate since learning to handle the pool myself.

Usually there is one quarter size bubble at the top of the pump basket floating around on higher speeds and then very little spec like bubbles underneath.

Not sure where to even check if possible leak since water level and such hasn’t been declining or anything out of the ordinary there. I looked around the pump plumbing and don’t see anything obvious.

Does the water in your pump basket drain out when the pump is off? Is your filter pressure steady?

What do you mean if they are full and not able to suck any air? Want to make sure I check right thing. Water level is well above the basket if that’s what you mean. I have opening to skimmer filled about 3/4 the way up and floating weir since no door.

It has been like this for awhile and never thought anything of it but figure now I should investigate since learning to handle the pool myself.

Usually there is one quarter size bubble at the top of the pump basket floating around on higher speeds and then very little spec like bubbles underneath.

Not sure where to even check if possible leak since water level and such hasn’t been declining or anything out of the ordinary there. I looked around the pump plumbing and don’t see anything obvious.

I think you are probably fine. I was suggesting perhaps your skimmers were sucking in a little air because perhaps the pool water level was a little low. A single quarter sized bubble is nothing to worry about. Odd that it goes way under lower speeds but appears at higher.

Reactions: Ejosh87
I think you are probably fine. I was suggesting perhaps your skimmers were sucking in a little air because perhaps the pool water level was a little low. A single quarter sized bubble is nothing to worry about. Odd that it goes way under lower speeds but appears at higher.
It’s just strange that it never isn’t there on higher rpm. And right now that sample bubble is there and it’s on very low rpm.

Really should not lose any water at all. But if small, not a big deal.

I would not worry about the small amount of air under the pump basket lid.

Reactions: Ejosh87
Means there is a very minor leak somewhere. Could be on the pressure side that does not show up under pressure but does when pump is off.
I would not concern myself with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
D
Means there is a very minor leak somewhere. Could be on the pressure side that does not show up under pressure but does when pump is off.
I would not concern myself with it.
Dang. Now the ocd part wants to find this leak haha. I thought the water going down was normal as long as it’s above the lines coming in and out of the pump basket. If it’s not a big deal I’ll forget about it though. Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.