A Decent Test Kit that won't Break the Bank?

FourReelFish

Jun 29, 2019
Florida, USA
I currently have a PoolMaster 5 way coming in the mail, and some Aquachek 7 test strips. I know I know, test strips aren't accurate and all that. They were cheap and I figured they would help see if my results were accurate with my PM 5 way. But now that I will be doing a slam on my pool, I've heard that I will need something to check higher levels of chlorine. The TF-100 and Taylor 2006 have FAS-DPD tests, but they are quite pricey, 60-70 dollars.

So I was wondering if either I could survive with the ball park answers my strips give me (it says it gives TC readings up to 10, and FC readings up to 20) or will I have to purchase something better? Also, is there a way to order just the better chlorine test instead of buying a whole new kit? I'm sure that would make it cheaper.

The pool master test is missing CYA and calcium hardness... both are important (you don't want your calcium levels to get too high or scale will form, and if too low it will damage the gel-coat of your fiberglass pool. And the chlorine testing from the strips will bleach out at high levels and mess up all the other results, and the pool master will only test chlorine up to 5... so you need the FAS-DPD test

To buy each test it is missing (CYA + calcium hardness + FAS-DPD) individually and add on + buy more reagents later on because your pool master test will have tiny bottles... Not worth all the fuss and extra expense.

Buy the TF-100 and be done with it...

If you think about how much money you might waste on bad testing results by adding unnecessary or inappropriate chemicals (and then perhaps having to correct that later on with more money)... the test kit becomes well worth it.

Last edited:
I had bought the Taylor K-1005 before finding TFP, and just added the kits I needed. Came to about the same amt of money as if I'd gotten the TF100 or K-2006C in the first place. You need that CYA kit and the FAS-DPD kit especially. So either piecemeal it or pay it all at once.

The kits are good for two years, and you'll be using it every day for a good while. You'll get your money's worth, believe me.

Reactions: justinc
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.