A couple winterizing questions

dugtoni

Feb 23, 2022
Vermont
Hey all,
First time pool owner so would really appreciate some advice on closing my pool. I have a 21 ft' round above the ground pool. Here are my main questions:
  • Should I drain the pool below the skimmer? The skimmer instructions say to drain pool 6 in below skimmer, but I have read others who recommend attaching a skimmer plate and leaving the water as is. If I did buy a plate to put over the skimmer, then what about the eyeball where the water returns to the pool? Would I just remove that and plug the wall fitting?
  • Do I need a special chemical kit for closing or should I just balance the pool with the chemicals I have been using? Then should I shock the pool with chlorine after that?
  • How important is it to store the filter inside? I imagine it would be extremely heavy to move. Could I but a cover for it in winter instead, or even just leave outside uncovered?
  • I've seen information about a pillow to put under the pool cover. How critical is this, and can I get away with just the cover that came with the pool?
FYI I am located in Vermont and we get very cold winters with a lot of snow. I really appreciate any advice you all could offer. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
First thing, be sure to visit our page below for some great tips. How far you lower the water level can vary by owner, region, and type of cover (if used). With an AGP, some put the plate on the skimmer, some don't and just disconnect the hoses so no water can accumulate. Some also cover the top of the skimmer. Return ports can be plugged with a winterizing plug. As for chemicals, just follow the instructions in that link. Some use a Polyquat 60 algaecide as insurance, but many others do not, especially if the water temps fall quickly and stay that way until spring. Generally taking the FC up to SLAM level is good enough. Pool equipment (filters, pumps, etc) are made to withstand the elements and be outdoors. Many people leave them outside, however some do disconnect and place some items in the garage, shed, or basement if it's not too difficult. If you leave the filter outside, take care to prepare it thoroughly by draining it well, remove the pressure gauge, etc. As for a pillow under the cover, if you are using a solid cover you probably want one. The weight of the snow can really push down a lot and cause pressure on the cover tie-down locations and pool walls. The pillow helps to encourage rain/snow run-off. However if you typically freeze-over quickly, an ice shelf will support everything too. But let's give others in your area more time to reply. I suspect you'll see a few varied methods based on their location.

Reactions: Mdragger88
* I think you mean 6 inches below the skimmer 😁 but yes, if you wish not drain & to use a plate you will need to remove the eyeball & plug the return. I like the screw in ones with an oring on them.
* no special “closing kit” needed
Balance every thing normally & raise fc to slam level for your cya & add polyquat 60 if you wish.
Here’s the guide 👇
* if your equipment is too large to move you will just drain it & leave all the plugs open as listed in the article. I use a tarp over my equipment. What kind of filter do you have?
* many people omit the pillow- there’s lots of threads here on differing opinions on them.
Keeping the cover pumped off as much as possible until the freezing temps come will help. You don’t want the cover pulling on the walls of the pool. It should be supported by the water underneath.

* I think you mean 6 inches below the skimmer 😁 but yes, if you wish not drain & to use a plate you will need to remove the eyeball & plug the return. I like the screw in ones with an oring on them.
* no special “closing kit” needed
Balance every thing normally & raise fc to slam level for your cya & add polyquat 60 if you wish.
Here’s the guide 👇
* if your equipment is too large to move you will just drain it & leave all the plugs open as listed in the article. I use a tarp over my equipment. What kind of filter do you have?
* many people omit the pillow- there’s lots of threads here on differing opinions on them.
Keeping the cover pumped off as much as possible until the freezing temps come will help. You don’t want the cover pulling on the walls of the pool. It should be supported by the water underneath.
Lol yes 6 inches. Updated

Reactions: Mdragger88
I drain the pool to just below the skimmer, the drain plug for the cartridge filter fits the return so I use that. The pump, filter, etc goes in the garage. Those pillows ain’t worth a dime, had two and they deflate within a month so the tarp sinks. I went to my local friendly tire guy and bought a 10.00x20 inch truck inner tube. Trucks don’t use them anymore, they’re tubeless, the guy buys a couple cases a year for the pool folks like me. After about ten years I replaced that tube as the fill valve corroded out. Use three lines from the inner tube to the rail to keep it on center with a foot or so slack so there’s no tension one the lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.