Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi all,

My wife and I just bought a home with a pool. We've never had a pool before. My dad grew up with a pool in the late 50s and early 60s and swore he would never own his own based on the amount of work involved. Things have progressed more than a little bit since then I'd guess. I've been perusing the forums for the past week and have found a ton of great information. I'm going to convert the current setup to a saltwater chlorine generator, specifically the Jandy TruClear. The previous owners were hands off and paid to have the pool maintained weekly, 52 weeks a year. That said, I had the water tested and the numbers were off:

• TC: 9.3
  • FC: 9.3
  • pH: 7.0
  • TA: 45
  • CH: 75

I'm a Comp Sci guy by nature, but worked in chemical plants for almost a decade. I think I have a solid understanding of the chemistry theoretically. I know theory and practice deviate from each other based on prior experience. I look forward to chatting with you all!

Hi all,

My wife and I just bought a home with a pool. We've never had a pool before. My dad grew up with a pool in the late 50s and early 60s and swore he would never own his own based on the amount of work involved. Things have progressed more than a little bit since then I'd guess. I've been perusing the forums for the past week and have found a ton of great information. I'm going to convert the current setup to a saltwater chlorine generator, specifically the Jandy TruClear. The previous owners were hands off and paid to have the pool maintained weekly, 52 weeks a year. That said, I had the water tested and the numbers were off:

• TC: 9.3
  • FC: 9.3
  • pH: 7.0
  • TA: 45
  • CH: 75

I'm a Comp Sci guy by nature, but worked in chemical plants for almost a decade. I think I have a solid understanding of the chemistry theoretically. I know theory and practice deviate from each other based on prior experience. I look forward to chatting with you all!
Welcome!

As mentioned, you really need your own proper test kit.

Those test results are missing one of the most important levels of all, CYA. Without that result you will not know what your proper FC level is.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Be sure to have a read through Pool School, especially:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Pool Chemistry

Great to have you with us!

Dom

Thanks for the replies!

I went ahead and purchased the TF-100 test kit, SpeedStir (even though I have a Fisher Scientific stir plate, the SpeedStir seems portable and more useful for small volumes), and AquaCheck Salt Test strips.