New here, new pool owner, trying to absorb a lot of info and get the pool going!

I would add 2 gallons per day of 8.25% store brand PLAIN, UNSCENTED bleach. no splashless, no easy-pour, no "regular" They seem to keep adding secret code names for adding more stuff to the bleach.

Label needs to say unscented, it might say concentrated which is OK. fine print should say 8.25% sodium hypochlorite

Well we just got back from Vacation.. Just ordered the test kit.

Unfortunately the day after we went on vacation our friend that was watching the pool reported it was leaking and even adding water it just leaked down almost immediately. Appears to be a pressure side leak coming out of the pump. I'm hoping it's in the exposed plumbing and can get it resolved quickly and be back in business.

So our FC is back to 1.

Ok at long last, TF-100 results! I only did the very basics for starters.. CYA, and the "blue box" for Chlorine and PH...

Good news- CYA is around 25 if I did the test right (added water to tube until the black dot was gone).
PH is 7.5
Chlorine is 5 (5+?)

This was a couple hours after adding a gallon of 8.25% bleach.

Bad News
Pressure leak

So what's the minimum I might be able to get away with running my pump and be able to maintain adequate chemistry until I can resolve the leak (which is looking like it may require concrete removal).?

The minimum you need to do is add bleach/chlorine daily to maintain target level or a little higher. You can brush to circulate or run the pump for 30 min or so. Any debris can be gotten with a net. Shouldn't be too bad this time of year.

Definitely do not let the chlorine level drop to minimum for your CYA level so that you don't have to worry about algae, SLAMing and having to run the pump 24x7. Chlorine CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.