smoking a turkey

Here's my contribution to our Christmas dinner tomorrow, fresh from the GOSM. :) Ten pound bird, hickory smoked.

IMG_0352e.jpg

IMG_0353e.jpg

You may also want to try smoking boneless turkey breast. They are very easy and there is no waste. I simplly remove the skin and fat, salt & pepper the turkey and then add a layer of bacon to the top side attached with tooth picks. I like to use Mesquite wood chips that have been soaked in water for the smoking process. Once the smoker or BGE in my case is at 225 degrees I add the mesquite wood and insert the turkey breast into the smoker. I then insert a temperature probe into the meat and cook until the meat reaches 170 degrees thermal temp. Note: Once the lid is closed on the smoker it doesn't get opened until the thermal temperature is reached. Once the turkey has reached the 170 degree thermal temp. it should be removed from the smoker and allowed to rest for around 1/2 hour. Once the meat has cooled the bacon can be removed and discarded or it can be left on and the turkey can then be sliced to the desired thickness and served. I like to use hard rolls and make small sandwiches out of it. It's great for parties as it can be prepared in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.