Slamming - water still cloudy on day 10

Jun 5, 2013
Started Slamming the green swamp on Mother's Day 5-3-15. Now on day 10 of slam, the water is still cloudy (no green, just cloudy). I can see the 2nd step, but zero visibility below that. I slam at the yellow mustard shock level, since in years past that worked best. This is the 5th summer of using the BBB/TFP way, but I have never had this hard of a time getting the water clear. It has been raining non stop in DFW area since I started the slam, but I have continued despite the rain. If anything, the rain has helped lower my TA, yay! Here are my specs:

TF100 Results
FC = 31
CC = 1 (fluctuates from 0, .5, 1 each test)
PH = 7.8
TA = 130
CYA = 30

Pump running 24/7, (using skimmer sock off occasionally)
PSI (clean is 18) current is 20
Have not let FC fall below 15 during this slam
Vacuum is Pentair manual vac (like the lady bug or shark) but when I can't see the bottom I can't tell if my vacuum is staying flat on the bottom or if it has tilted to it's side and I am wasting effort:(

I am a first time poster, but long time lurker. This is the first time in 5 summers that I have not been able to get a handle on the pool by reading other posts. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks so much

Well, I'm sorry you haven't cleared up, but I'm glad you joined us finally! Good to have you on. :wave:

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but this may just be one of those that take a little while. How bad was it when you started? Have you ever run with DE when clearing one of these before? You might want to try that, it does help speed things usually. It might be a little slow for your FC level and time, but I would give it more, try the DE, and be patient. Keep your SLAM levels up too. Sounds like you're doing a good job with that. How are your hold times on FC doing BTW?

I have added cellulose (polymer fiber) twice in the past 10 days. I am scared to add to much, I have heard stories of it turning sand to concrete. I have added 1 Tbsp two different times. Our sand is brand new, our sand tank had a hairline crack near the neck, so it had to be replaced...thankfully it was still under warranty. I have read all about DE but the cellulose comes in such a small package and states 1 tsp per 5000 gal. so I am hesitant to add to much. If you have more specific instructions on how to properly add the cellulose, I will happily abide. As for my OCLT, from last night to this a.m. I lost 0. So I know I have a handle on the algae, but this cloudiness is going to be the end of me. I have purchased so much bleach in the past 10 days, I know I have never put this much $$$ in the start up of the pool since using the TFP way. The sand filter aid I am using is a polymer called Clear Results (very small bag says it treats up to 100,000 gal), this is the 3rd year I have had this same little bag. I am trying to be patient but, I am concerned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.