Upgrade Options

Airras

Jan 19, 2014
Miami, Florida
Hi TFP (First Post)!

My pool is a tad bit over a year old and is operating properly. I will adding a pool heater shortly (Jandy EE-TI 3000) and looking to take this opportunity to perhaps upgrade my power center as well since the heater will require an electrical run. My pool build is pretty simple and all power is filtered through a intermatic power center that has dual manual timers for the pump and ties power to the rest of the system although not a sub panel. All breakers are feed from my electrical panel (Pump, Lights, Blower, SWG and soon to be heater). The only automatic process to my system is the pump which on speed 2 activates the SWG. I feel the first of many upgrades should be the power center and correlating PC, relays (unless the board says otherwise). I am looking to go Jandy not for any other reason as I enjoy there products and my pump, filter valves , heater and pool lights are all Jandy. My SWG is autopilot. The question is which power center should I chose that will allow me to upgrade to automatic actuators, wireless controls, temp sensors, etc.

Since the heater will require plumbing I may take the opportunity to upgrade some valves etc. I also would like to know if there is a benefit to actually use my power center as a sub panel and move all my breakers outside (for convenience) and freeing up some spaces.

On another note for my pool heater I intend to add plumbing and 2 way valves at the end of both inlet and outlet to the heater as well as a check valve before the SWG. Am I missing anything else?

Let me welcome you to TFP!

To answer your question about the sub-panel, yes. it would be a good idea to have one there with your pool equipment. Easier, quicker access should your need it. Your electrician will probably put a 220 breaker in your existing box, and break that down at the sub-panel.

If your valves are only a year old, and are able to be automated, you shouldn't need to upgrade them yet.

For the control system, I can't give any recommendations, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help with that.

Automation is a very reasonable upgrade with a wide range of options. The first thing to do is make a decision about getting an entry level, medium, or high end system. The higher end systems support remote Internet control, and give you the ability to control more things, but even the entry level systems should be able to handle all of the equipment you have mentioned.

Just to clarify because of the heater addition I will be adding another breaker to my main panel (50 or 60 amp) and to leaves some spare space in my main panel I have the opportunity to relocate all the pool related breakers to the intermatic box which has accommodating space and simply run subpanel run to that box. Now I can simply make that call and end up with a sub panel that now controls all my pool equipment (including new heater) which is nothing more than I have now other than a few open spares available on my main panel. This brings me to the point of preparing for future upgrades. My question now focuses on the box itself and my ability to upgrade seeing as its a intermatic box. Can Jandy control boards and relays be added to the intermatic box or if this is what I am looking to secure in the future should I once and for all be upgrading to a Jandy box?

Automation systems have their own weather proof boxes. The mid-range and high end automation systems typically include electrical sub-panels in the box. While the more basic models assume you have an external sub-panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.