pooldv texas pool thread

Re: pooldv pool thread

LOL at Pleated Earl. I might need to steal 40 bucks from one of my kids and get the insert.

CyberQ Wi-Fi is the best thing ever invented. I think it was 500 bucks when I bought 5ish years ago. Yep, can log in and control the smoker from anywhere. It also has ramp and hold feature so meat is never over cooked. I use some Auber Instruments stuff for my wood stoves. It is good stuff. CyberQ is better.

Primo XL! Best smoker!
Here are a couple of posts in the BBQ thread, there are more.
post Re:*Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread
post Re:*Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread
CyberQ is a great unit, a Q buddy of mine has one on his Stumps. I'm a Stoker man myself, use it on a WSM and my Komodo Kamado. Nothing like checking your pit and meat temp from anywhere.

Re: pooldv pool thread

Fading Plaster

We've had quite a few discussions recently about plaster fading. I mentioned that my horizontal surfaces have faded much more than my vertical surfaces. I noticed the other morning that it looked pronounced at the steps and took some pics. The vertical surfaces face northeast and are partly shaded in the morning by trees and are shaded all afternoon. The steps and sunshelf are full sun all late morning and all afternoon until until between 5p and 6p. This is black onyx Pebblesheen installed in 2012 and maintained TFP style with SWG since day one. Don't try to notice the difference between the sunshelf surface and the step treads, they look the same in real life. Something about the angle or something makes the sunshelf surface look darker than the steps for some reason but it is not. They are equally gray. The point is how much darker the vertical areas are than the step treads. This is how the entire pool is, more so on the north facing pool walls.

full

dbtgallery.php

full

dbtgallery.php

full

dbtgallery.php

I know you went with a dark color, but would you recommend going a few shades darker than one would like knowing that over the first 10 years (hypothetically) the average darkness would be what you want?

Or just tell them to get Aquabright and hope the marketing language on not fading is accurate?

Wow. That's faded. Must be all that evil bleach you pour into your pool and your insistence on keeping your FC above the industry guidelines of 1-3ppm. Oh, and all of your stone work is going to rot away from those incredibly high salt levels!!! Don't you know that salt water corrodes 10-penny nails if you splash them with salt water?!?!?

By the way, what are your phosphate levels?? There's a bottle of PhosFree ready to ship when you're ready.

I suggest raising your pH with soda ash and brushing your pool non-stop for 24-48hours....that should fix your fading issues.

Re: pooldv pool thread

We went with the darkest shade available. The plaster was jet black when it was installed. It is light gray in the worst spots now.

Good question, what would I do now?
First of all, we were on the fence between black onyx and whatever the sheen version of tahoe blue is to start with so we don't hate it. Tahoe blue is a medium gray plaster color.

I would definitely recommend aquabright if you can find a good installer.

Otherwise, I would recommend a medium gray quartz finish. Since that is what you are going to end up with anyway. No reason at all to pay extra for darker colored plasters, especially the blue ones. In 2012 all of the blue plaster were a $1000 upgrade. We considered it and boy am I glad we didn't waste that thousand bucks! The black onyx wasn't an upgrade.

Here is what black onyx looks like the first day according to the PebbleTec website.
dbtgallery.php

full

I dug deep and found a pic from fill day.
full

dbtgallery.php

Wow. That's faded. Must be all that evil bleach you pour into your pool and your insistence on keeping your FC above the industry guidelines of 1-3ppm. Oh, and all of your stone work is going to rot away from those incredibly high salt levels!!! Don't you know that salt water corrodes 10-penny nails if you splash them with salt water?!?!?

By the way, what are your phosphate levels?? There's a bottle of PhosFree ready to ship when you're ready.

I suggest raising your pH with soda ash and brushing your pool non-stop for 24-48hours....that should fix your fading issues.

Oh, and for you :hammer:

make that two :hammer::hammer:

Hey pooldv, I wonder if you brushed these areas if it would blend back in. I have been very bad:(about brushing or perhaps too lazy:(and often wonder what are the pros and cons of not brushing. Our pools still has some mottling (which we like) and over the years more and more pebbles show up which makes it look more uniform.

It is likely that I could lower the CSI to -0.8 or -0.9 and brush a lot to expose a new layer of black plaster. Or do a zero alkalinity treatment and brush a lot. But, that would just remove plaster and shorten the life of the plaster and in a couple of years the gray would be back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Last Thursday I swapped out the filter cartridges and they were cleaner than they've ever been before. I'm pretty sure I cleaned them last March. I can only attribute the extra cleanliness to Gilligan, the Doheny's Discovery/S200 robot I got last fall. Another win for the robot over the old pressure cleaner.

NICE!

I’ll have to compare notes with you as I got our robot just a few weeks after tearing down the DE filter. DE is whitish-grey but usually looks like light brown mud after 6 months of filtering. I’ll see if there’s a noticeable difference in media color.

I’m sorry about the shading. I know u guys always talk about it on here but never realized how much is noticeable. I also never realized you. Am pretty much over brush also it sounds? I have been trying to still brush everyday since we plastered in July cause I figure it could only help. I guess I should lower to just 3 times a week?

Daily brushing of new plaster is only needed for the first 30 days. After that once a week is recommended. Less with a robot that brushes, especially with lots of swimming.

Copy from pool temp thread for posterity.

Ok, after a hi temp yesterday of 73, a little rain and a low last night of 44 the water went from 90 on Saturday to 78 this morning with the solar cover on. Still cold for a couple of days but the sun is back out and we'll see if solar can help out this week. Supposed to be sunny and low 80s Wed thru Sat, so we'll see if we can swim Saturday. Pump has been set to only run during daylight hours to conserve heat overnight for several weeks now.

Here's a challenge. Who can put more leaves in their robot than this?
full

dbtgallery.php

full

dbtgallery.php

Also, last official swim day of 2017 is today, Oct 22. The next 10 days of forecast is too cold. The cover is off and put away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.