Vacuum Pool, Dirt returns within a couple hours????

Apr 15, 2015
key west, FL
I have a Summer Escapes 14' x 42" with the skimmer attached to an Intex 2500gph pump with paper filter.

I vacuum the pool and a few hours later it looks like I haven't done anything. The dirt is very fine and I'm going real slow, no trees above pool just clear sky. The water testing is right and water is clear.

Any Ideas?????

Thanks,

You could mix up some diatomaceous earth and pour it into your skimmer and it will help your filter to filter out smaller particles by effectively clogging it up a bit. Only add a little at a time, as too much can reduce the flow. Although you've got plenty of pump for your size pool. I got some at Ace Hardware. Any pool store should care it too.

A better filter cartridge might help as well. I know some people here are recommending some alternatives to the Intex filters Sorry, but I don't recall the brand. I have a sand filter myself.

Originally Posted by PhilGillis

First time pool owner. Have a 16x48" intex ultra frame, 1500 gph pump/A filter, and saltwater setup. Kept getting sediment collected on the bottom the pool. Stir it but it would just go through the hand skimmer. Was about to order a sand filter with bigger pump so I could vacuum also as my setup didnt come with filter vac and didn't think my 1500 pump would do it well. Anyway, put a white athletic sock over the return and just stirred up the pool getting the particles in the water versus on the pool bottom. The sock has totally removed all of the grit as I guess it was just going straight through the filter. I do keep filter clean and all that . . But just something as simple and cheap as a sock has the pool absolutely clean and hasn't interfered with chlorine production or any ill effect. Got the tip about the sock here . .so just wanted to say thanks. I still may upgrade to sand . . But it won't be to water/grit conditions. Unbelievable.
Phil

This helped me years ago, give it a try!

Reactions: Tatum4701
Get a Unicel. Difference is night and day. I posted some pics of my Intex cart and the the Unicel after running a week. Intex was still white, Unicel was brown and full of dirt. Unicel is about $15 at Amazon and will last up to 5 years if cleaned properly.

Update,

I tried the sock "didn't Work"...........Unicel filter "didn't work".............vacuumed real slow "didn't work".........left the vacuum hooked up so that intake was from bottom of the pool "didn't work"........

Ordered a 5 micron sock that I will try...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test strips are worthless that that does not tell us anything. If you truly want to take control of your pool then you need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Dirt is gritty, can you feel it?

I am almost willing to bet that your FC level is too low for your CYA level and what you are seeing is actually algae.

I had this problem also, could never ever get the dirt off bottom, it use to take me 3-4 hours, (with cartridge) and just go super freaking slow. Well that all changed when we upgraded to a sand filter, new learning curve but the difference is night and day. pool has never been cleaner, and only takes about 30-50 minutes, every 7 days. I am so happy we upgraded:p

Switching to a sand filter is really the way to go. I can tell you that I am super anal about dirt in the pool and would drive myself absolutely crazy trying to keep it clean. The other thing that really helped was adding some water clarifier which helps all the tiny particles clump together so they can be vacuumed. I still get sediment on the pool floor but my pool is under two really annoying trees. I also notice an increase in sediment after the pool has been shocked, but once I vacuum (which I do about every other day) it disappears.

Switching to a sand filter is really the way to go. I can tell you that I am super anal about dirt in the pool and would drive myself absolutely crazy trying to keep it clean. The other thing that really helped was adding some water clarifier which helps all the tiny particles clump together so they can be vacuumed. I still get sediment on the pool floor but my pool is under two really annoying trees. I also notice an increase in sediment after the pool has been shocked, but once I vacuum (which I do about every other day) it disappears.

With TFPC, there is no reason to use clarifier. The only time a SLAM occurs is if there is presence of CC or the water turns due to forgetting to add chlorine.

Ok, I have the Taylor kit and slammed the pool, here are my numbers CYA 40, FC 8, CC .5, PH 7.6, TA 70, CH 90. I did the overnight test and it lost 1.5 of FC and CC went to zero. Is 1.5 lost too much overnight? Should I slamm for a little longer?

Thanks for all the help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.