filter backwashing frequency

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
Hello all, I have a question regarding backwashing my DE filter. I have a relatively small pool (~12K gal.) and a 60 sq. ft. DE filter. I believe this is a pretty large filter for the size pool that I have, but I'm assuming that's probably a good thing. Anyway, my plan is that I try to take it apart and do a full cleaning every 6 months. I've noticed that after 6 months, the pressure gauge normally has not moved up very much at all. Because of this, I have rarely backwashed the filter, thinking that I only needed to do it if the pressure is up several pounds over the 'fully-clean' setting. Is this OK, or should I be backwashing it regularly regardless of whether the pressure has risen much or not?

Thanks,
Greg

An annual cleaning sounds right to me. I have a 48 sft filter on a 16K pool and it can go 9 months between cleanings sometimes. And I use a manual vacuum, so everything I suck up ends up in the filter. You have a bigger filter and a smaller pool and a robot, so I imagine the worst of it ends up in the robot filter.

Thanks guys. If backwashing is not required unless the pressure is 25% over 'clean', then I've been on track. I will likely start going a full year now between full take-apart cleanings because of the new robot.

BTW, if I do ever backwash, how much DE should I put back in? In the past if I've backwashed I've put 1 scoop back in (it takes about 10 scoops when starting fresh after a full take-apart).

Thanks,
Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.