New Owner/Builder Pool in Las Vegas

This was by far the most fascinating phase for me. These guys worked their butts off today and so far this has been the least expensive phase. Guy told me he put over 1 ton of steel in my pool. Sorry for the number of pictures, I just really liked their work:

Electrician on Monday and inspection on Tuesday.

Why is there the extra steel on that one place? I think it is by the spa.
Actually they're raised planters and the engineer had to put extra steel there because it's over 8' total.

- - - Updated - - -

First stressful moment yesterday, electrician was supposed to be here between 11 - 1 to get their work done prior to my inspection today. 1 rolls around and they're not here, I call their office, they'll be there at 3, don't worry, they'll be done in time for your inspection. 3:30 rolls around, they're not here, call the office, they'll be there at 4, don't worry, they'll be done today. They arrive at 4:15 p.m., three crews, they knock out my project by 6:45 p.m. Whew!

Here are some updated pics:

It even looks great with just dirt and steel! You're doing a great job. I'm envious over the width of your pool. That just makes it! Take care! Suz.

If you look at the initial design we had a second tanning ledge. When they laid the pool out we decided to eliminate it and turn it into a bench to widen the pool up. So far my one regret is that we didn't do the shallow end wider. I fear once we get shotcrete in it's going to be very narrow. Removing the tanning ledge will give us a little more width in both the shallow and mid-deep end.

Yes, I remember your initial design. I thought having 2 tanning ledges was cool, but I think I would have done the same and eliminated one for more width.

After the gunite, I wish I had more width in places. But I can get greedy. If I had more space I would have built a giant pool which I really shouldn't afford, and would have had a harder time with maintenance. It was so easy for me to get caught up in the design and want more, more, MORE! Your pool is going to be super! Take care. Suz.

Hi, I'm in Henderson NV...we are looking to renovate our existing pool and I was browsing for ideas. Sent you a PM.

I can't wait to see your finished pool and landscaping, you have a nice sized yard to work with! Looks like you should be ready to swim just as it gets HOT here :).

Hi, I'm in Henderson NV...we are looking to renovate our existing pool and I was browsing for ideas. Sent you a PM.

I can't wait to see your finished pool and landscaping, you have a nice sized yard to work with! Looks like you should be ready to swim just as it gets HOT here :).
Foxy, got your PM, shoot me your email address and I'll send you some info that will be helpful.

That makes two of us who can't wait LOL. Yes, one of the reasons we bought this place was due to the size of the lot (.5 acre), unfortunately that also means a lot of decking and landscaping to pay for. We've very pleased with how the pool fit in the area by our home though. Several people told us we should have pushed it back more towards the back of the lot, but we wanted it closer so we can watch people swim and play from our house. We plan on putting a gazebo and putting green behind the pool, but it more than likely won't make it in this years build.

Shoot me that info as with the help of others and some networking on my own I have some good information that will help you locally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did the steel issue get resolved? What was the problem?
Sorry, forgot to update this thread, I started another diving deeper into the issue.

Yes, it was resolved, steel guy came out first thing the next morning and added the steel. Honestly, I think he under bid it. He put the extra/larger steel in the area that was over 7' as he'd seen on other projects not thinking (when he was bidding) that it would be required around the entire deep end based on the other probably thousands of pools he's done. Inspector agreed with structural engineer and failed me. When he came back he told me he was losing money on the job. Felt badly because I'm not out to screw anyone on my building costs, however, he had all the information including the structural engineers plan when he bid.

Something else that was odd was on the day my inspection was to happen he called me to see how my inspection went (it had been moved to a day later but he didn't know this), not a single other sub called me to ask if I passed inspection. Just seemed odd.

Bottom-line, I think he was over aggressive to get the job, I was a good negotiator and he was in a tough spot.

Inspector due to come out again, fingers crossed!

My steel guy missed the notes from my engineer that said "6x12 on the vertical". When I went to inspect at the end of the job, I asked him where they were (he had done 12x12 for the whole pool). Should have seen his face. I also felt bad, but it was in the bid sheet and I wasn't about to be failed for it.

Foxy, got your PM, shoot me your email address and I'll send you some info that will be helpful.

That makes two of us who can't wait LOL. Yes, one of the reasons we bought this place was due to the size of the lot (.5 acre), unfortunately that also means a lot of decking and landscaping to pay for. We've very pleased with how the pool fit in the area by our home though. Several people told us we should have pushed it back more towards the back of the lot, but we wanted it closer so we can watch people swim and play from our house. We plan on putting a gazebo and putting green behind the pool, but it more than likely won't make it in this years build.

Shoot me that info as with the help of others and some networking on my own I have some good information that will help you locally.

Thanks!
We just bought on 1/3 acre 2yrs ago, it is 1990 original, so have been updating it continuously! We have a big dirt area with an ugly pool at the moment lol, all in time though, cause the money trees aren't growing so well in the desert! I'm envious of the new builds as I browse around here! Your backyard is going to be a nice retreat, I agree with keeping the pool closer to the house, so you can interact with the activity and keep an eye on things, sounds like you have nice plans on how to use the entire area. Can't wait to see the continuing progress.

Had some travel on my schedule so no work until today, SHOTCRETE day! Believe it or not I had a hard time sleeping last night, guys are due around 6:15 a.m. and I woke-up at 4:00 a.m. Excited to see these guys work, supposedly they're the top shotcrete company in the city. Should finally look like a pool today and we're on the downhill side. Plumber was here yesterday installing 3" sleeves to my planters for irrigation and whatever else I may want to run there. Electrician ran his own conduit for power so not sure what-else I may end-up running there but nice to know I have plenty of space.

Pictures coming . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.