Filter problem/suggestion for new filter

Apr 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I've been having troubles finding a leak in my pool. In addition, I am having troubles with murky water returning to the pool after I vacuum and backwash. I think both problems are with my pool filter. The other day my filter started a small leak (not the original cause of the leak mentioned above, this was new) on the selector valve (to select filter, backwash, etc). so I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it and put it back together. The leak at the selector valve then stopped. Yeh! Then, a day or two later and just by chance I noticed a small trickle of water was coming out my backwash hose. So, my thinking is this could be the original leakage problem. My guess is that the match up and seal of the diverter isn't solid, allowing some water to escape out the backwash hose....causing my original leak problem. Then it occurred to me this could be the same problem where there could be some seepage from the non-filtered water getting into the return...causing the occasional murky water in the return.
So....I don't know how old this filter is but I know the diverter has been replace at least once (the previous owner left the old one behind), but, I'm sick of the problems which I think are being caused by the filter. Could someone recommend a sand filter based on my configuration? (Is more info than what is in the signature needed?)

Thanks
Tim

When you had the selector valve apart did you check the condition of the spider gasket? It should be firmly attached at all points and not show signs of excessive wear to function correctly. A loose or worn out spider gasket will cause leaks.

Thanks for the reply zea3. Although I didn't pay too much attention, I did run my finger along the spider gasket and didn't feel anything out of place. I think, but like I said, I didn't pay too much attention, the gasket is embedded in the valve as part of the manufacturing process so it doesn't look to be a replaceable part. I'll remove it today and take a better look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.