Pipe Rat's Concrete Block pool build.....

Thanks Suz, I know my neighbors are hating me LOL. It's been almost a year since I broke ground. I have a feeling all will be forgiven when we have the first neighborhood open pool party though. I'm sure we will make it this season yet. Stay tuned

Lots of work to do yet but got the pool opened and running this weekend. The liner is from Loop-Loc and the color is "Luminous Soul", also bought a Polaris P955 robot and it seems awesome but I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first pool.
[URL=http://s693.photobucket.com/user/vgputility/media/Pool/IMG_2995.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Wowie, Wow, Wow, Wow! Your liner makes it look like an all tiled pool!!! Or am I not seeing correctly? That is my dream pool! I've never seen a liner like that. In my next life, I'm going to have a vinyl pool with THAT liner (at one of my homes - LOL!!!) Does it really look like that bottom photo when you're looking down into the pool? It looks like those million dollar LightStream all glass tile pools. That's amazing. And looking at a distance the color is gorgeous. Hmmmmm.... I wonder if I still have time to tile my entire pool. That would certainly take care of my whole Pebble Sheen color dilemma! Oops, forgot - I'm all out of money!!

You guys have to be thrilled and have such a sense of pride in your accomplishment! Bravo! Hats off to you! Keep the updates coming! But you could stop here and have a fabulous pool!

Take care. Suz.

You absolutely nailed it Pipe Rat. That is a magnificent pool. DIY just makes it so much more satisfying.
You are a credit to your craft.
Enjoy it.

I just found this thread! NICE work!

I would love to see a pic from the street to get a feel for how the pool and building sit by your house. I would have NEVER thought to put a pool out front by the street. FUN TIMES for all in the hood!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pipe Rat - Looks great and should last a lifetime.
Were you hesitant at all to pour the concrete deck prior to installing the liner? I have a concrete block, similar to yours, ready for both liner and concrete - both have been delayed by the constant rain here in Ohio.

I did basic pressure testing on my plumbing, to about 15 lbs, and no leaks so I feel pretty comfortable I won't ahve issues. I might have a chance to have the concrete done over the next week, then the liner 2 weeks from no. Otherwise, I wait 2 weeks for liner and then concrete after that, and with the rainy summer we have that might not be until end of Aug.

Most people I talked with recommend installing the liner and running the pool a day or two prior to concrete just in case you have leaks.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. Still lots of work to do but I feel we have achieved a major milestone by getting the pool open. Yes Suz you are seeing correctly, the liner gives the appearance of an all tiled pool. We had our fingers crossed going so bold with the liner but are both very pleased with the look.

I would never dream of doing the liner before the concrete but again what do I know? LOL I am a plumber by trade.

As for the placement of the pool, we have not got a big enough back yard or that's where it would have been located. Everything is a compromise. We have a very wide lot that goes court to court (so no other houses 10 feet away) but with that we got a small backyard. My fault....the wife wanted a 3 acre site and I didn't think I wanted to take care of 3 acres so I found this 1/2 acre one to build on. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have listened to her but alas we still have a place we are proud of and I am not moving ever again, the kids can worry about what do with it when we're gone. LOL

There will be portions of privacy fence where needed and the rest will be 60" tall black aluminum fence. We considered all privacy fence since we are in the side yard but didn't want to feel boxed in or hide all the beautiful handy work. he he[URL=http://s693.photobucket.com/user/vgputility/media/Pool/Pool%20street%20view/IMG_3026.jpg.html]

[/URL]

Ohhhhhh..... Beautiful home and lot! I'm crazy over those trees! I think ya'll did great!

Love it.... let the kids worry about everything later. That's just what I've decided - on many things. It's my new mantra. Oh well, I'll let the boys worry about that after I'm gone! :laughblue:
Suz.

It looks as if it is but just verifying - is the blockwork drystacked? Going to begin my own build soon and currently debating between a block or poured wall setup. Any tips on doing the drystack if it is in fact drystack?

I chose the concrete block method because I didn't have the skills or the equipment to pour the walls. Looking back I probably could have rented the forms and figured it out but I felt more comfortable taking my time and this method lent itself well to DIY. I set the first course in mortar and paid special attention to getting it level in all directions. After all that I found that dry stacking still becomes a little less than perfect the higher you go so on I think the 5th or 6th course I used mortar once again to get everything perfectly straight and level prior to the bond beam. I installed rebar vertically in every hole (overkill) in the blocks and horizontally in the bond beam filling all spaces solid with concrete. I also tied it all together and electrically bonded it.

I followed some guidelines from drystacked.com. Good Luck with your build.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.