Best cleaner for a triangular pool?

Jun 9, 2014
Stoneham, MA
A question from a total pool n00b: Two years ago we moved into a house with a relatively small inground pool (about 12,000 gallons) in the shape of a right triangle. Because the property is small, the dirt and detritus from nearby vegetation are a constant problem. We can remove leaves with a leaf skimmer, but dirt and smaller stuff remains.

We'd like to invest in a pool cleaner but we've been told that some pool cleaners do not handle corners very well. Our pool has one corner where the walls meet at a sharp 90 degrees, then two corners where the angles would be 45 degrees but the walls are rounded.

I should mention that last year we bought a Pool Blaster iVac M3 vacuum from our local pool supply chain. It worked very nicely the first time we used it, and then it never worked again (even though we used it, cleaned it, and stored it properly). We're hoping to find a cleaner that's a little more robust and hopefully good with corners. I appreciate any advice you excellent people can give!

I suspect you will always have some problems around the sharper corners, but otherwise most types of cleaners should work as well in your pool as in any other similar size pool. Just note some cleaners regardless of their cost can have quirks about getting stuck at some point, like next to a ladder or under a rail, and you can never really predict when or where this may happen. My previous robot cleaner could be set to tend to go left or tend to go right, if set to go left it would always get caught between the ladder and the corner, so I always left it set to go right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.