Slippery Liner Steps

From another forum, seems like you do the overnight test and if there is loss you can shock and do the overnight test with shock levels to see if the algea/whatever is all gone. So kind of a test and then a test to see if the shock worked or you need to keep shocking. Makes logical sense...I guess? This is all from my many months of experience. :cool:

If I bring it up to slam levels (just add shock?), how long will it take to drift down to "normal" levels? Or will it not have an effect on swimming and how the water feels. If it will naturally drift down won't I lose some overtime even without algae?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

So I finally got my pH down to 7.3 (it must have been way up there) and my CYA is 35-45 (am going to increase this slowly, but guess that takes weeks as you need to wait a week to re-test). Now I want to check the FC levels, but when is the best time? My SWCG/pump is on in the morning (4-10AM) at 60%. Should I:

A. Check it in the morning while its running
B. Check it in the morning but dont turn it on a 4AM
C. Have it run in the afternoon (eg., 4-10PM) and check it in the AM
D. Check it in the evening after sundown (keep it running 4-10AM)

I just want a general idea where I am (and know when I should be doing random testing and if I need to inc/dec the SWCG %), and then Im going to do an overnight test again. But if my SWCG is running, its making chlorine, so my number would be higher than if I tested it hours in the afternoon/evening after it was running in the AM as Cl would be burned off by the sun. Should I even be running the SWCG at a different time, like during the say as thats when the Cl is needed?

Well, I'd check it at 3:50 am as that is before the pump and SWG turn on and that is when it's at it's lowest and you can see if you are above minimum. Then test again at 10:15 to see where you are at for your target.

Well, I'd check it at 3:50 am as that is before the pump and SWG turn on and that is when it's at it's lowest and you can see if you are above minimum. Then test again at 10:15 to see where you are at for your target.

Test at 350am? Think I'll pass but thanks. Lol

I understand but do you see that at 3:50 am in your specific setup that's when you would be most likely to be low on FC ??

You could also switch your run time to something like 9/10pm to 3/4am still giving you 6 hours of run time. Let it run for a few days at the new time and then check for minimum FC just before 9pm when it switches on or if possible turn off the SWG and mix for 30 minutes and test(turn SWG back on). Depends on your set up. Then test again in the morning before the sun comes up like an OCLT to see what FC level the SWG puts you at. The morning test should be within 1ppm of the actual FC level at 3am without having to disturb your sleep.

Also having the chlorine pumped in at night gives it more of an opportunity to kill organics in the dark rather than being eaten by the sun at 10:00 in the morning. ;)

Depending on your utility company you might even get a break on electricity cost $$$ running it at more of an off peak time.

I understand but do you see that at 3:50 am in your specific setup that's when you would be most likely to be low on FC ??

You could also switch your run time to something like 9/10pm to 3/4am still giving you 6 hours of run time. Let it run for a few days at the new time and then check for minimum FC just before 9pm when it switches on or if possible turn off the SWG and mix for 30 minutes and test(turn SWG back on). Depends on your set up. Then test again in the morning before the sun comes up like an OCLT to see what FC level the SWG puts you at. The morning test should be within 1ppm of the actual FC level at 3am without having to disturb your sleep.

Also having the chlorine pumped in at night gives it more of an opportunity to kill organics in the dark rather than being eaten by the sun at 10:00 in the morning. ;)

Depending on your utility company you might even get a break on electricity cost $$$ running it at more of an off peak time.

Actually changed the pump to 10am-4pm. After 1 day I turned my swcg to 0%. Waited a day. Then checked it at night. FC 14.4 (it was on boost for a few days before that). Then this morning, before any sun was on the pool (645am) it was...16.8?!? Lol gonna redo the over night test again tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just in case, I wasn't referring to SLAM or anything other than just dialing in your SWG to maintain the proper minimum and daily maintenance FC levels.

Ok...ran the pump (SWCG off) for an hour after dark, then checked my FC/CC levels. Let the pump run all night. Rechecked it in the AM

AM
FC 11.8
CC 0.6

PM
FC 12.0 (maybe even 12.2)
CC 0.4

I dont know how, or why, but I guess I see pink differently. keep getting higher FC in the AM! (my previous test: AM FC 14.4, PM FC 16.8). But I guess its close, at least its not dropping down overnight. Assume if there WAS algea it would go down down overnight. Now, ill bring up the CYA to 70-80 (its 35-45 right now). Should I do anything about the CC being up a little, chalked it up to my lack of pink identification, its not 1.0 or anything.

UPDATE!
So I bought SlipDoctors Non Slip Resistant Spray for Fiberglass, Clear. I emptied the pool down below the steps and dried them off. I then spray on a layer (used a piece of cardboard from a box to hold along the edge), let it sit over night (but really is ready in 30min) and filled the pool. Its amazing. There's a fine grit that with your feet you can barely feel, but its soft and you dont slip! Really, they should apply something like this to liner steps in the factory. I will 100% reapply this every year if needed. If you think your liner steps are at all slippery and to be safe, Id recommend this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.