Toying with the idea of building a hottub

joshs2000ss

Nov 10, 2010
South Central Kentucky
We've been considering the idea of adding a hot tub to the corner of our existing pool or if not a spill over type tub, at least a free standing one. I haven't done much research on the subject yet, but I'm getting started on gathering info. I'm fairly handy when it comes to building/designing things, but I'm looking for info from those of you who might have undertaken a project such as this in the past. What are the positives and negatives? Can I use existing equipment (heater) or would I be better off making it a completely separate system? Should I just construct a place to drop in a tub and not worry with a full DIY project?

What say ye, oh wise members of this great forum?

Unless you are both industrious and lucky, buying a separate tub will cost less. It is possible to add a spill over spa to an existing pool but it takes a fair bit of extra effort. To add a spillover means: engineering to insure the weight won't compromise the existing pool wall, trenching (possibly through the deck) to run plumbing lines, either boxing in a fiberglass tub shell or forming a concrete/plaster spa area, plumbing, probably a new automation system (optional but really nice), and so on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.