Where should I start??

Aug 11, 2013
I joined the forum last month. I am really thinking about getting a pool in the Frisco Tx area. I am probably a year out or so on this. I want to do my research get an idea on pricing and etc. I have probably talked with two or three PB's in the area to get some information. I guess because I am upfront about not buying now I don't get any follow-up which is frustrating. I want to have at least one company to come out and look at my backyard and give me an idea on the potential and cost. What thoughts do you all have on that? Is that a bad idea since I am possibly a year out.

There are a lot of PB's out here, any feedback from someone local with any of them.

Just to name a few below:

Hauk
Reflections pool and spa
Riverbend
Gold medal
Hobert
Venture
Cody
Foley
Playmore

I would think time is on your side heading into fall. Most people I know and work with are into football, getting their kids settled into school and their weekend activities. Right after Halloween, most everyone then begins focusing on the Holidays. Very few people are thinking about installing pools right now and for the remainder of the year. Once the New Year begins that will change quickly, though. So you should be able to get a few contractors out there between now and the end of the year. You will quickly see who is hungry for your business.

When we put out bids at our old house a few years ago (in July so time wasn't on our side), we got three bids. Only one followed up to see if we had any questions (Riverbend). This is one project you want to look at references and build quality rather than simply selecting the lowest bidder. One thing to be aware of is the plumbing method. There are some builders that use the "direct method" which means they will run plumbing under the pool if that is the shortest path. You do not want that. The only plumbing that should be under the pool is the main drain. I would put a stip in the contract to that effect. You should always keep an eye on potential maintenance. Other items I would avoid are in-floor cleaning systems (more plumbing under the pool), mineral sanitizers (even if they throw it in for free), and UV sanitizers.

Even though we recommend liquid bleach for long-term chlorination (unless you opt for a SWG), I would still get an in-line chlorinator that accepts 3" tabs so you can use them when you go on vacation. I would also get a 2-speed or variable-speed pump over a single-speed.

The rest is pretty much up to your personal preferences

It's possible that you might get a deal if you sign a contract during the slow season.

Thanks for all that information. I have been reading up on these variable speed pumps and how they save on energy. I am worried about the electricity bill running a pump 8-10 hours a day. You also answered another question I had is it cheaper to build a pool out of season when the demand is not so high.
I have been looking at members posting their pictures and I see what you mean on the plumbing. The more I get into this the more I want to talk myself out of it. This whole process seems like a lot and the wife is supportive, but not actively involved in the process at least not yet anyway. I am sure when it comes to design she will have a lot to add. Thanks again for taking the time to educate me.

Frisco5 said:
I am worried about the electricity bill running a pump 8-10 hours a day.
Well, you can put that worry to rest. I run my single-speed pump (inherited from previous owners) about 30-45 minutes a day on average during the swim season. I followed this process (Determine Pump Run Time) to arrive at how long I needed to run my pump. Still have crystal clear water. If you opt for a SWG, you may have to run it longer than that since the SWG puts out chlorine only when the pump is running. Most expensive monthly electric bill this year for the whole 2-story house (including two separate A/C systems) was $265 and I'm not doing anything exotic like running solar panels.

Believe it or not, what will get me is running the pump during below freezing weather in the winter for freeze protection. It can run 8-10 hours a day on those days. At some point, I will swap out the motor for a 2-speed motor.

From a cost-benefit & payback perspective, we usually recommend a 2-speed pump over a variable-speed (VS) pump where electric rates are less than $0.20 per kWh. However, some builders will get a good price on a VS pump so it may be worth considering in that case. If you do get a VS pump, I would look into getting a circuit protector (e.g., surge suppressor) as the VS pumps have a lot of electronic controls that could be more sensitive to nearby lightning strikes from thunderstorms.

First, YOU look at the "under construction" subforum for some ideas that you think you like. You also need to have a heart to heart with yourself and your backyard. Walk it off, diagram it, find out where gas and electric lines are.

There are some wonderful examples for you to look at here, but.......are you ready to go all in on an underground? How about a "big" above ground for a few years to get your feet wet and find out if pool ownership is for you. You need to start finding all the pool friends you can find too and ask them if they had to do it all over again, what they would do different. Perhaps a hot tub integrated somewhere?

Like the above posters note: you have time, you have a good number of folks in you area here on this forum who can advise you on PBs. As for two speed pumps and all that stuff, you need to get your "texas" guys to give you some advice. My two cents is if you have alot of trees and stuff around, you will be running a pump alot just because you will have to.....the cleaner the area, your right, you won't need to run it much. This may sound crazy, your pool will tell you how much it needs once you get it up and running.

I will let you educate yourself on the SWG vs. BBB thing. There are pro and cons all over the place.

Keep asking the questions, but first, please, get some sort of ideas (even on a napkin) down on paper first before you start talking with pool builders. Have them fine tune and perhaps advise you after that.

Good Luck

Bob E.

Interesting my neighbor behind me has a pool 15x30 and he says he runs his pump about 6 hours a day. His wife has trees and stuff in the backyard that maybe why he has to run it more. I don't have any trees in or close to my backyard the closet is my neighbor across the alley with a pool and his trees are not that big.

Bob, thanks for the advice as well. I have already used landscape light to kind of define the area I would like to put the pool. I don't have a huge backyard (36ft x35ft) but want to still see some grass back there I was not a fan of freeform pools but it might be my best option with my backyard plus my neighbor is helping me. He has had his pool for about 5 years. I will definitely check out the under construction area you mentioned. Thanks again for taking the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.