help!

If the photo in the 3rd post is recent, it shows that the pH is in the high 7's or so. I don't believe that your pH is really 3. I think you need to wait until you have reliable test results before you add anything other than chlroine (bleach).

Yep go with that. Your test kit will be there shortly. Then you'll have some good numbers to go with and start to get this fixed.

Hang in there. Add some bleach so it doesn't get any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I would not trust those test results. Keep adding a maintenance amount of liquid chlorine until you get your test kit and ignore the pool store. Your only goal today, is to kill algae and this is chlorine's job. I know pH may be off but since you are not getting reliable data, ignore it for today.

Do you have one of the test kits with the yellow and red blocks?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I would say your pH is little high and your CL is low.

According to the poolcalc, you should add 12 oz of 20 baume MA, run the pump for 30 minutes and then add about a gallon (136oz) of 8.25% bleach to get to a shock level.

Sorry about that...

This is the stuff I buy at my local HD/Lowes. Be sure to look in the fine print for the strength. Muriatic acid is available in various strengths. The most common strength is called either 20° baume or 31.45%. 10° baume or 15.725% is easier to handle but you need twice as much and it is usually more expensive.

These pallets at HD were mixed... you need to look at the box you are buying to see you are buying what you want, not what the stockperson put in the wrong place.

THis is the good, strong stuff (20 baume/31.45%):
IMAG0340.jpg

This is an open box of the "weak" version. As you can see, it's half strength for about $1 less than the full-strength.
IMAG0341.jpg

did you keep the receipt for the CYA? That isn't something I'd buy. CYA gets so high on its own when you occasionally use the pucks to chlorinate instead of using bleach (like for when you go out of town). Just a thought...if you haven't opened it.

Odds are you will not need that CYA, but keep it around for next season. I don't know what the pool store tested, they probably mixed it up with a bottle of vinegar in the back. If I just have one set of results to prove pool store tests are not to be trusted, that was it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.