Swamp Help Please

Can anyone anticipate how fast FC will deplete once it is brought up to shock level? I know a few things will determine this. I plan to start the shock process at night to get a good jump on it. so sun light will not factor in until the next morning. And I will monitor it every hour as late into the night as possible. But once I go to bed whats to happen to the FC level while I'm asleep? Do I need to wake up once an hour to test and adjust? I'm assuming once the sun is up it will state depleting at a faster rate.

I found a supply of 12% liquid chlorine which I will be using. I'm also trying to get an idea of how much liquid chlorine I should have on hand to maintain shock level until the shock process is complete. I've read somewhere it was like 4 times the amount it takes to bring to shock level. If that's the case, and it will take 2 gallons 1cup to bring to shock level, then I will need about 8 to 9 gallons to complete the shock process and kill all the algae. Does this sound about right?

j_walker said:
Can anyone anticipate how fast FC will deplete once it is brought up to shock level? I know a few things will determine this. I plan to start the shock process at night to get a good jump on it. so sun light will not factor in until the next morning. And I will monitor it every hour as late into the night as possible. But once I go to bed whats to happen to the FC level while I'm asleep? Do I need to wake up once an hour to test and adjust? I'm assuming once the sun is up it will state depleting at a faster rate.

I found a supply of 12% liquid chlorine which I will be using. I'm also trying to get an idea of how much liquid chlorine I should have on hand to maintain shock level until the shock process is complete. I've read somewhere it was like 4 times the amount it takes to bring to shock level. If that's the case, and it will take 2 gallons 1cup to bring to shock level, then I will need about 8 to 9 gallons to complete the shock process and kill all the algae. Does this sound about right?

No, every situation is different and anyone speculating is wildy guessing. The best way is to dose by calculation, test, re-test, and re-add as needed. Yes, when you are asleep, the FC will fall and you will have to add more in the morning. It is hard to help without some good numbers to work with. Post some when you can test for them properly. Good luck.

Okay sounds good. I would like to thank everybody for putting up with me and answering my questions these past few days. With the help of you and the abundant information on this forum, I have devised an attack plan. This weekend weather looks to be beautiful so I will be launching the attack mission this Friday evening. I will post updates as they happen. Thanks again................................................................ I hope this works. lol

Okay. I shocked the pool last night and this morning I woke up to a blue cloudy pool. No more green at all as far as I can tell. Do I need to keep shocking until I pass an overnight FC drop test. My pressure is not rising even one psi. I was going to try and use a clarifier / coagulant to help pick up the dead algae. Thoughts?

No floc... keep up with the filtering. When you get closer to keeping the CL, you can either vacuum to waste or add some DE.

But... right now focus on keeping you CL at shock until you have a good steady FC and no CC. Sand filters can take a up to a week on their own, but it will get there. Floc may not be your friend.

I have been running pump and filter 24-7. The water has been cloudy blue all day. Adding chlorine to maintain FC 14. The pump pressure has only increased one psi from about 24 hours ago when I first started the shock process. Does this seem normal for the pressure?

So since Friday night my pressure has risen 5 psi. It is now Monday morning. The water has not improved as far as clearing the cloudiness. It is very cloudy but no green in sight. And I'm sad to report I may not have the funds to keep up with the chlorine demand to stay at shock level. Yesterday I added salt to bring salt level to 3400. I started the swg system and set it to 100% super chlorinate hoping it would help produce chlorine. I'm not sure if it is though. I didn't add any other chlorine last night and the fc level this morning was 1. I feel its only a matter of time before I see the green start to appear again. I know its not recommended but I think I will try to flock it. If I can get the water clear I may continue my efforts and try to get the chemistry right. But as of now I can not justify putting more money into it and hoping for improvement but not seeing any. Like I stated before I'm on a tight budget and this may just be more than I can afford. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Flock is more expensive than bleach and will not likely help. Your problem isn't suspended solids but chlorination...the need for it. Your dollars would be much better spent on bleach. You will go green if you do not complete a shock process, and as you do it, you will see progress. I'm sorry about your budget constraints, but can't think of more to offer in terms of advice.

Well thanks. But this may have been all for not. Its not green yet but I know it will be soon. I went home at lunch today and noticed a slight improvement. I can see further down the wall than before and I can now just make out the bottom of the shallow end. It looks to be white on the bottom.

techguy said:
Sand filters can take a while to clean out the junk in the water. Some add a small amount to DE to the filter but it needs to be watched to confirm your pressure don't change too much, too fast.

Some do, as do I. It helps a lot and moves things along more quickly. Just add a little at a time and as per this post, watch your pressure. What you really need is bleach and more of of it. If you can continue, just keep hammering and it will get better.

Dont give up, because if you do...what are you going to do with the pool then?

I guess I'm hanging in there. Nothing is turning green yet. Lol. But not much improvement on clearing either. I'm going to give it the rest of the week and see what happens. This weekend I'm going to try some filter aid when I have the time to monitor the pressure closely.

If the green is gone, and you've passed an OCLT, and your just waiting for it to clear to consider yourself done with the shock process, then I would think everything is dead and your SWG could provide enough to keep you from going green again. It's just going to take time to clear. Have you already purchased DE (filter aid)? Why not put some in when you get home from work and then backwash when you go to bed, we've gotten enough rain surely your a little full?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.