Poolcrete why?

I thought labor may be the deciding factor.Previously when I asked the question(other pool builders) I would get answers like concrete isn't strong enough(didn't make any sense) or concrete is to rigid.

When concrete slabs are poured what happens? They cut lines in them so when they crack, it gives them a crack point and keeps cracks down. Not IF they crack, but when. So your pool bottom, if done in concrete, would need lines cut in it which would not look good under a liner. In addition, vermiculite is porous which allows water to pass through. If you had a ground water problem, and you used concrete, I suspect it would just start cracking the pool floor to pieces.

As for poolcrete versus vermiculite, since poolcrete is basically portland/vermiculite already mixed, it is simply a labor issue. Rather than lugging 90lb bags of portland and mixing with vermiculite, you simply dump a bag of poolcrete in and mix away.

What is Gunite (other than the method of applying concrete)Why no control joints?Gunite is very versatile,great for repairing and forming any number of things.I don't ever remember seeing a control joint when gunite is used. I'm not putting in a pool floor,(yet)i'm just curious about why poolcrete is used.(some good info so far)I have been kicking the idea of building an inground pool in a couple of years ,so this info may come in handy one day.I like to know why things are the way they are.Yes,I was that kid who took apart his toys just to see how they worked. :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.