56k Gallon Pool / Double SWG? (Jandy)

replying to myself again...
The want to charge me 1500 to "upgrade" to a VS FloPro 2.7 HP DV2A.

He said thats just the difference in the material price. No labor included?

Does that seem like the proper fit. It does to me.

Edit: I realize now NJ has mandated variable speed pumps. Called and no rebate for me. My contract was started in 2020... but I didn't pull trigger until this year. A friend using same PB was spec'd out the same variable speed I mentioned above.'

Edit 2: And I realize only 1 of those pumps is actually needing to be switched. the 3/4 booster is for the polaris. 1 of the 2hp is for the spillway (so that can stay as is... its binary and won't be used all the time. The pump actually going into the filter will be swapped out.

Last edited:
$2600 installed for the FusionSoft is a good deal. You need both the FusionSoft canister/cell, and the power supply which I assume will be stand-alone.

I was going to say something about the pumps as well. Do you have a spa with this pool? Also do you know what model Aqualink you are getting? That 3rd pump looks like a feature pump is it for a waterfall? Vacuum?
Sorry I realized I missed some stuff.

Aqualink: RS-PS6

I was thinking 2600 is high as I already have FUSIONM etc. I'm just adding another. I also don't know if the second one will even be seen by AquaLink or if it'll only actually control 1?

I do have a spa with a water feature. So yea... 3rd pump is for 2 spillways out of the spa into the pool and a sunshelf.

Maybe I shouldn't have bitched about the price! I see things like:
FSOFT1400 for 1146:
Zodiac FSOFT1400 40k Gal Fusion Soft Scg Cell & Nature2 Vessel Kit

I realize maybe that site isn't as reputable but thats less than half the price.

Also I see aquapure 1400s even cheaper. If the aqualink CAN'T control two FSOFT1400s it might make sense to get a cheaper aquapure and have that off the aqualink. I'm still trying to verify what aqualink will handle. Or whether my specific AquaLink is setup to handle 2. Not sure looking at this:

I believe you will need a separate power supply for both. 2 units, 2 power supplies. However, you could get another brand for the 2nd since as you pointed out, Aqualink isn't going to control it anyway. I do not believe that Aqualink can talk to 2 SWGs at the same time. I don't think the FusionSoft is cheaper btw.

Ask what Aqualink antenna you are getting. They have the new 3.0 out but your builder might be getting rid of the older 2.0. The 2.0 has issues with some modern wireless networks like mesh type stuff.

Also - That one link you listed for $1146 does not include the power supply which is another $1k I believe.

I believe you will need a separate power supply for both. 2 units, 2 power supplies. However, you could get another brand for the 2nd since as you pointed out, Aqualink isn't going to control it anyway. I do not believe that Aqualink can talk to 2 SWGs at the same time. I don't think the FusionSoft is cheaper btw.

Ask what Aqualink antenna you are getting. They have the new 3.0 out but your builder might be getting rid of the older 2.0. The 2.0 has issues with some modern wireless networks like mesh type stuff.

Also - That one link you listed for $1146 does not include the power supply which is another $1k I believe
Fair enough on power supply! I'll apologize for questioning price to them!

I'll ask about antenna too! Thanks!

Edit: I did notice this... on a spec page... maybe they can be controlled but would have to be run at same rate? Bob Jandy is a hard man to get on the phone... I've tried a few times but no one is picking up:

1633467719312.png

Fair enough on power supply! I'll apologize for questioning price to them!

I'll ask about antenna too! Thanks!

The APUREM includes an LCD control panel for controlling the saltwater chlorine generator. It is basically a smaller version of the Aqualink panel that houses just the circuitry for the saltwater generator.

They do make a 60k gallon SWG. You could always skip them both and just get the 60k gallon one. It is not made by Jandy I think it is intelichlor.

The APUREM looks like this:

1633467668892.png

The APUREM includes an LCD control panel for controlling the saltwater chlorine generator. It is basically a smaller version of the Aqualink panel that houses just the circuitry for the saltwater generator.

They do make a 60k gallon SWG. You could always skip them both and just get the 60k gallon one. It is not made by Jandy I think it is intelichlor.

The APUREM looks like this:

View attachment 375924

Well notice my quick edit above to last post. I'm still not sure I can't get the aqualink to do 2.

If they did have to be pegged though the run one at a set rate and other variable would be off. I'd just be managing 2 but that might be just fine.
It would be nice to have it all Jandy and all AquaLink.

And on 60kgallons. I'm still reading on here oversized is best. So having 80k gallon max capacity for a 56k pool > 60k gallon max capacity for a 56k pool. etc.

At this point though too the costs are just getting rediculous =)

Back to the parallel vs Series question.
Would it make sense to have one SWG tied to each of the two filtration pumps (parallel) since it has to be the last thing before the returns. If you go series you would have one pump filtering but not sanitizing and the other pump filtering with double sanitation. It could also make a difference to how the returns are plumbed and some returns may not get chlorinated water.

I would go with one per pump.

Back to the parallel vs Series question.
Would it make sense to have one SWG tied to each of the two filtration pumps (parallel) since it has to be the last thing before the returns. If you go series you would have one pump filtering but not sanitizing and the other pump filtering with double sanitation. It could also make a difference to how the returns are plumbed and some returns may not get chlorinated water.

I would go with one per pump.
I think you're confused on the pump situation and honestly I was as well. There is only one pump that really feeds the system. The other two have other uses. Pic attached with some text showing.
So if you look below... there is one chlorinator coming off the heater? I either need to split that PVC where I show the "SP?" and have two be fed at once...
or I could just run two in series where the one is?
The PB initially said they'd just have them run in parallel. I've gotten some mixed reviews on here. Some say it doesn't matter. Someone else said if they're in parallel the pump works hard as I guess you're pushing two lines at the same time there? If that is true I was going to say do in-line and not parallel.
1633473574349.png

Attachments

• 1633473463500.png
    1633473463500.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I am not up on the differences between all of the variable speed Jandy pumps, but the 2.7HP epump should be plenty for you.

With that large a pool (can you post specs like length/width/depth?), I am wondering if the PS6 is enough circuits. You'll need pumps, JVAs, SWG, pool lights, landscape lighting, etc.

Also the current standard is an electric robot and skipping the extra pump and manual vacuum mess. You could lose that entire setup.

For the size of your pool and having a spa, it just doesn't look like enough plumbing to me. Do you have a bottom drain? How many skimmers? How many returns? Any water features like sheer descents or waterfalls, Bubblers?

Last edited:
Just for curiosity can you tell us the dimensions of this new pool? Length, width, depths?? That is one huge honkin' pool, but more often than not pool builders are clueless when it comes to telling folks how many gallons it will be. They almost always over estimate.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not up on the differences between all of the variable speed Jandy pumps, but the 2.7HP epump should be plenty for you.

With that large a pool (can you post specs like length/width/depth?), I am wondering if the PS6 is enough circuits. You'll need pumps, JVAs, SWG, pool lights, landscape lighting, etc.

Also the current standard is an electric robot and skipping the extra pump and manual vacuum mess. You could lose that entire setup.

For the size of your pool and having a spa, it just doesn't look like enough plumbing to me. Do you have a bottom drain? How many skimmers? How many returns? Any water features like sheer descents or waterfalls, Bubblers?
I'll have to look into electric robot? Any suggestions? At this point I'll prolly just keep the booster pump and polaris but I guess I could switch up if anyone has any good ideas? Thanks!

It's 60' x 20 pool'. Deep end is 9 feet. Shallow is 3.5. I really do think I'm in the 50 Thousands for total gallons but let me know if you think I'm wrong.
There is a 14" deep sun shelf (i forget entire dimensions its oddly shaped to fit what I'm doing with porch / house but you can see it below.
Also a 7'x7' raised spa
Total Sq Footage is listed by PB as 1327

2 drains in deep end.
5 LED lights
6 jets in spa
2 3' spillways out of spa onto that bench and the sun shelf.
4 returns
2 skimmers

Blurrered out the kids.
1633616731096.png

Another one showing deep end is deep. I said 9' but I actually measure a bit more. We'll see after it is all done what it comes out to. I'd hazard its close to 9.5' deep than 9' right now.
1633616990938.png

Attachments

• 1633616972745.png
    1633616972745.png
    277.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Brian Malone
It's 60' x 20 pool'. Deep end is 9 feet. Shallow is 3.5. I really do think I'm in the 50 Thousands for total gallons but let me know if you think I'm wrong.
Yep - definitely in high 50k gals - you have a nice big rectangle. I calculated 58,000 just for the pool (used 9.5 ft max depth). Then add another 1200 gals for spa and sun deck. Wow!!!

Yep - definitely in high 50k gals - you have a nice big rectangle. I calculated 58,000 just for the pool (used 9.5 ft max depth). Then add another 1200 gals for spa and sun deck. Wow!!!
Yea I'm beyond excited... just working all these kinks out! Thanks!!!

Edit:
But seriously in response to above if someone can suggest a good robot for a setup like this let me know. I used to work/manage some commercial pools a lifetime ago so I was looking forward to a good vacuum but I'm sure it'll lose its luster quickly :p

Last edited:
But seriously in response to above if someone can suggest a good robot for a setup like this let me know. I used to work/manage some commercial pools a lifetime ago so I was looking forward to a good vacuum but I'm sure it'll lose its luster quickly :p
It seems most robots from maytronics and Polaris do a great job. If I were you and shopping for a robot, I would pay special attention to cord length and where you intend on plugging the robot in near your pool due to its size. You will want your robot to reach all corners of the pool. I believe the higher end robots from both maytronics and Polaris come with longer cord lengths.

Reactions: HermanTX
It seems most robots from maytronics and Polaris do a great job. If I were you and shopping for a robot, I would pay special attention to cord length and where you intend on plugging the robot in near your pool due to its size. You will want your robot to reach all corners of the pool. I believe the higher end robots from both maytronics and Polaris come with longer cord lengths.
Yea the 280 the spec'd has a 31' hose. Which won't work in a 20' x 60' pool to reach all corners. Thanks.
Another thing I'll address.

PB says hose can be extended and a 280 will work fine.

Sure. A Polaris 280 will work fine and a Polaris 380 will work better. For what you are spending on your pool I would get a Polaris 380 or Polaris Quattro Sport if you are getting a pressure cleaner.

Sure. A Polaris 280 will work fine and a Polaris 380 will work better. For what you are spending on your pool I would get a Polaris 380 or Polaris Quattro Sport if you are getting a pressure cleaner.
I actually read some a 280 is more durable? I'll have to go do more reading? Not up on the Quattro Sport.

They're now saying they think a single Jandy Fusion would be more than enough chlorine and they'd suggest doing that over doing SWG with 2 Fusion Softs.
And also argued a single speed pump really pushing the water cleans better than a variable speed pump... but I can't imagine how this won't cost me a lot more in electricity and I would think the VS could always be cranked up if needed.

AKA... I'm sticking with the VS upgrade...
still not sure what to do on chlorine but leaning towards 2 Fusion Soft over tablets at this point (and per recommendations on here)... the PB did not agree Tablets will result in a CYA problem
PB also said they love the mineral carts on a fusion system and were surprised I said in researching I've found people don't like them (adding copper etc. to pool)

You will need to decide if you will listen to your PB or us. You are the one who needs to live with your pool, not your PB. Our advice comes from our experience with our pools.

I think your PB is leading you astray, to be polite.

You will need to decide if you will listen to your PB or us. You are the one who needs to live with your pool, not your PB. Our advice comes from our experience with our pools.

I think your PB is leading you astray, to be polite.
Yea... I'm fairly aligned with the folks on here I think. AKA leaning towards double Fusion Soft, VS pump.
Greatly appreciate the quick feedback.

Next is do I spend lots of money on Water Trucks. Or do I fill this bad boy up with well water that tested .3ppm iron in it but otherwise clean. I assume that would be in another forum though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.