56k Gallon Pool / Double SWG? (Jandy)

You will need a valve actuator on the suction and return three-way valves to control Pool Mode, Spa Mode and Spillover Mode.

The valves look like Hayward brand, so you should get Hayward brand actuators because the screw threads are slightly different and the wrong thread will cross-thread and damage the plastic threads.

The valves come in PVC or CPVC.

The CPVC valves are black and the PVC valves are grey.

The CPVC valves are better.

Yours are gray, so they are the regular PVC.

It looks like you only have two suction lines going into the pump?

You should have one line from each skimmer and one from the main drains and one from the spa.

So, there should be at least 4 lines.

How many spa jets do you have?

1634072271193.png

For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec.

For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size........6 ft/sec........8 ft/sec.

1.5"...........38...............51 gpm

2"..............63...............84 gpm

2.5............90.............119 gpm

3.0".........138............184 gpm

4”...........234.............313 gpm

The spa jets normally take about 12 to 14 gpm per jet.

So, if you have 8 jets, that is 96 to 112 gpm, which means that the suction should be at least 3", but it looks like it is 2"?

You will need a valve actuator on the suction and return three-way valves to control Pool Mode, Spa Mode and Spillover Mode.

The valves look like Hayward brand, so you should get Hayward brand actuators because the screw threads are slightly different and the wrong thread will cross-thread and damage the plastic threads.

The valves come in PVC or CPVC.

The CPVC valves are black and the PVC valves are grey.

The CPVC valves are better.

Yours are gray, so they are the regular PVC.

It looks like you only have two suction lines going into the pump?

You should have one line from each skimmer and one from the main drains and one from the spa.

So, there should be at least 4 lines.

How many spa jets do you have?

View attachment 377637
I'm assuming I would need this valve setup you mention if I got rid of the dedicated pump doing spillover etc. and used one VS pump for everything?
For now as it is all plumbed and I won't be using that spillover all the time I was just going to leave as is?

I have 6 Jets in the Spa.

Here is another picture where I dug out a little. Yes I only see two returns coming back to the "main" pump. The pump in center that will be swapped out for the VS:
I can ask pool builder why there are only 2 but at this point I'm not sure how much can be done there. I'd really have to prove they did something wrong... they aren't going to just go replumb and/or increase returns and diameter of PVC (Yes it is currently 2").
The spec I have says there are 4 returns but perhaps they are combining all 4 pumps? 2 returns to main pump, 1 coming into booster, 1 coming into the pump on right for spa?
1634074841873.png
Value Pic:
1634074805883.png
Also here is a check valve:
1634074781121.png

Last edited:
2 JVAs (Jandy Valve Actuators) are included.

One goes on the suction to select suction from the pool or the spa.

One goes on the return to select if the water returns to the pool or the spa.

The actuator is a motorized control that automatically moves the valve.

It installs with 4 longer screws into the original holes when you remove 4 screws from the valve.

Each manufacturer has their own valves and actuators.

The actuators are interchangeable, but the screws are slightly different and it is best to use the same manufacturer.

You should have used Jandy NeverLube valves since you will get Jandy Valve actuators.

You should make sure that the mounting screws come from a Hayward valve actuator so that the thread matches.

If you want to heat just the spa, you select "Spa Mode" which pulls water from the spa and returns water to the spa.

Spillover mode pulls water from the pool and returns it to the spa so that the water spills over.

Pool Mode pulls from the pool and returns to the pool.

Most likely, the two skimmers are tied together and run to the pump.

I would run each skimmer line separately to the pump.

The extra pump probably pulls from the pool main drains and returns to the spa.

I would get rid of the extra pump and run the main drain line to the filter pump.

1634080384521.png

1634079391199.png

Last edited:
2 JVAs (Jandy Valve Actuators) are included.

One goes on the suction to select suction from the pool or the spa.

One goes on the return to select if the water returns to the pool or the spa.

The actuator is a motorized control that automatically moves the valve.

It installs with 4 longer screws into the original holes when you remove 4 screws from the valve.

Each manufacturer has their own valves and actuators.

The actuators are interchangeable, but the screws are slightly different and it is best to use the same manufacturer.

You should have used Jandy NeverLube valves since you will get Jandy Valve actuators.

You should make sure that the mounting screws come from a Hayward valve actuator so that the thread matches.

If you want to heat just the spa, you select "Spa Mode" which pulls water from the spa and returns water to the spa.

Spillover mode pulls water from the pool and returns it to the spa so that the water spillsover.

Pool Mode pulls from the pool and returns to the pool.

Most likely, the two skimmers are tied together and run to the pump.

I would run each skimmer line separately to the pump.

The extra pump probably pulls from the pool main drains and returns to the spa.

I would get rid of the extra pump and run the main drain line to the filter pump.

View attachment 377697

View attachment 377696

So those 2 returns coming into "main" pump.
Is that just 1 (2 skimmers) and 2 (the 2 drains in deepend)... I'm guessing

Perhaps tomorrow I'll clean off some more pipes and really trace them out to verify all this

I don't see how it "hurts" to have the extra pump for spillover mode though?

I don't see how it "hurts" to have the extra pump for spillover mode though?
So those 2 returns coming into "main" pump.
Is that just 1 (2 skimmers) and 2 (the 2 drains in deepend)... I'm guessing
The extra pump is unnecessary as the main pump can do the exact same thing.

It's an extra cost to buy and to operate.

The two suction lines going into the pump are probably the two skimmer lines tied together into a single line and there has to be a suction line from the spa.

The extra pump is unnecessary as the main pump can do the exact same thing.

It's an extra cost to buy and to operate.

The two suction lines going into the pump are probably the two skimmer lines tied together into a single line and there has to be a suction line from the spa.
Drain is coming back too isn't it? Doesn't it have to be tied in there somewhere? (might need to clean off some dirt tomorrow and see what I can figure out)

I'll ask about losing the extra pump.

Thanks

You will need to take the extra return and tie it into the spa return.

I'm guessing that you have jet returns in the spa and some sort of wall or floor returns in the spa as well?

You can put it on a separate valve with and actuator if you want.

1634086095365.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.