Too good to be true?

Johnny-M

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Altoona, Pa
Well used the TFP /BBB methods all last year and they worked great. Thank you very much for my new pool knowledge. I opened the pool last weekend and it was perfectly clear, best opening i have had with the mesh cover. Pool water clear and chems are perfect. But I have a little black "dirt" that keeps reappearing at the far points away from the returns each morning. Pool temp is around 60 degrees there are no CC's reading in the pool OCLT test was passed and again water is perfectly clear. I keep vacuuming up the "dirt" each am and it is easily picked up through the vacuum. Was considering black algae but don't think that is it. Not sure if it is pollen (Trees are just budding now and there is a yellow pollen ring around the waterline) or just fine dirt from the winter closing that isnt getting picked up by the filter. Since I have never opened the pool to these near perfect conditions I am not sure what to do. Usually I am dumping in barrels of bleach at this point in the season. I may add DE to the filter and pick it up that way or vacuum on waste to remove whats left. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I find sediment lands in drifts on my pool, and I don't close. Keep playing with the returns, if you can aim them. I keep trying, but I haven't found the perfect setup yet.

The only bad thing about adding a little DE is the fact that it comes in such huge packages. It would be a lifetime supply. Maybe a neighbor has a DE filter and will let you have a couple cupfuls in a ziplock.

Pollen is a very common cause of "dirt" constantly accumulating on the floor of the pool. Blown in dust is another source, common in some areas, very rare in others. It is also possible for just slightly low FC levels to have the same effect because of dead algae accumulating.

I will keep an eye on it. Fc levels were at 24ppm and i am keeping them high incase this is something else.I never open the pool this early because i try to wait until the trees are done flowering but i looked the other day and figured the water is clear I am opening now to avoid last years swamp problem. I notice the yellow pollen ring around the waterline but the "dirt" in the bottom appears black. I am probably being overly paranoid. But it is way better than last years nightmare. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you just have some undissolved particulates if you have been vacuuming to filter each time does it poof into smoke when you hit it with a brush or the vacuum? once the water is still it settles on the bottom of the pool, next time vacuum it to waste very, very gently or it will simply poof up into liquid suspension again and then return once the water is still in a vicious circle, you may need to top up your pool before starting as it can take a while vacuuming it gently

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.