Opening questions

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
what chemicals do you recommend for opening - in eastern pa, open 5/15, close 9/15
leslies seems to sell a bunch of junk in their opening kit, this year I am switching pool guys/debating opening myself.

should I just go with 5 gallons liquid chlorine and some algeacide (need a recommendation).

I have a mesh cover that is pretty beat so I get a decent amount of debris over the winter. but up till now opening by 5/15 the water has been ok within a couple days.

Test Results

That's the start we'd suggest for to start any season. It's hard for us to say dump xyz into the pool, without knowing just what your chemistry is. You'll save a TON of headache's and money by switching pool guys, and taking care of 100% of the work yourself.

The smart/cheap method of opening is get the equipment running and all the nasties scooped out and then do and post a full set of test results using one of the recommended test kits. Based on that information you will know what to buy to adjust the chemistry.

If you closed correctly, and open when the water is still cool enough, the pool should not have turned green.

If it did, then you will want to go through the shock process as described in Pool School after getting a set of test data.

Sticking with liquid chlorine and separate chemicals (CYA, baking soda, acid) as needed is the simplest method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.