Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice from Intex--laughable

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice from Intex--laughable

Checking out their website, and came across this gem in the FAQ:

Question
    How do you remove algae?

Answer
    Algae will die from chlorine with concentrations as low as 0.05ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Well with 0 PPM CYA, that might not be too far from the truth. I read in a recent thread that even 0.5 FC with 0 CYA is too high for normal usage.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3
    That's funny!! Maybe if you have one CELL of algae and catch it before it can reproduce....

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Eskimo - The intex site says 0.05, or 5 hundredths of a ppm. Your post says 0.5, or 5 tenths of a ppm!! different by a factor of 10!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    Eskimo - The intex site says 0.05, or 5 hundredths of a ppm. Your post says 0.5, or 5 tenths of a ppm!! different by a factor of 10!!
    It probably got changed in the translation between Chinese and English....what's a factor of 10 to a Chinese factory worker?
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6
    Technical diversion for those who are interested:

They aren't out of their minds when they say FC of 0.05 can kill algae, they are simply talking about something that is irrelivant in practice. FC of 0.05 with CYA at 0 has the same active strength as FC of 1.5 with CYA of 30. Which is to say that it can kill algae if there was any way of maintaining that level. The problem with really low levels is that they get used up almost instantly and then there is nothing left and no way to replenish the FC quickly enough. The first cell of algae would die, but if a second cell of algae fell in the pool there wouldn't be any FC left and it would do just fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    Maybe if you have one CELL of algae and catch it before it can reproduce....
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The first cell of algae would die, but if a second cell of algae fell in the pool there wouldn't be any FC left and it would do just fine.
    HEY! so I sometimes DO know what I am talking about!! 8) 8) 8)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    It probably got changed in the translation between Chinese and English....what's a factor of 10 to a Chinese factory worker?
    About 5 lbs of lead.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Algae will die from chlorine with concentrations as low as 0.05ppm.

It's the whole truth but the catch here is, you have to be able to maintain that 0.05ppm Chlorine without it going to 0. I suppose they do not mention how long it will take or how strong are the algae outbreak. Very misleading but I belief in it though very impractical (correct me if I'm wrong).
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.