Where to purchase test kit on this website?

DEFINITELY get a TF100 from tftestkits.NET (not com). I also recommend the speedstir which you can get for a discount when you add it along with the kit (you must add it from the kit details page). If you are going to be adding borates he also has the borate test strips.

BTW - if you are a TFP site supporter you should have a discount code for $10 off

I know it might seem to be alot with the test kit, stirrer, and you will eventially want to add the borate thing to the pool......best investment in your pool you will ever make. Quick, accurate, reliable testing IS the key to a successful, fun pool experience. I don't know what I ever did before my test kit.....oh wait, yes I do, it sucked.

Bob E.

probably stupid question!
Not at all. Most of us consider borates an optional item that is not a mandatory part of pool water management. I think it is a great idea to get your pH, chlorine, TA, Calcium and CYA all in order and become familiar with those parameters first.

Once you are comfortable with maintaining those properly, then is a good time to consider borates......usually a month or longer after you first begin balancing and adjusting.

Sure - there is a pretty good writeup on Borates in Chem 201.

so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

They help in a number of areas: pH buffering, scale reduction, possibly algae reduction, and most important for me is the FEEL of the water. Silky smooth in my opinion and a bit of 'sparkle' as a result of changed surface tension. You can pay a LOT to buy them in a pool store, or order a big bag of Boric Acid from a company in Texas City at a fraction of the price. I'm sure others will chime in.

I would wait until the other parameters are in balance, and at least 30 days after filling. I have added borates to my last two pools and am a huge believer, especially when not paying pool store prices!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.