50000 gallons in Houston shade- any SWG without supplementing?

Thanks, AJ. When comparing liquid doser to swg would you say your assessment stands, or that liquid is still less convenient?

On another note, I think either way this conversation has led me to want a VS pump. Is the installation straight forward? Is this an item that fails right away or lasts forever or is this something I would be advised to pay extra and have a tech install to get more warranty?

Thanks again!

Thanks, AJ. When comparing liquid doser to swg would you say your assessment stands, or that liquid is still less convenient?

I think a SWG wins over a Stenner pump or IntellipH system. Some folks prefer them.

With a doser system you still have to haul liquid chlorine to fill them up every week or so. They add complexity to the pool equipment, need periodic maintenance, and need to be monitored for proper operation.

On another note, I think either way this conversation has led me to want a VS pump. Is the installation straight forward? Is this an item that fails right away or lasts forever or is this something I would be advised to pay extra and have a tech install to get more warranty?

Installation of a VS pump is no different then any other pump.

Biggest weakness of VS pumps is you now have a computer called the "drive" strapped onto the back of the pump. The electronics can be sensitive to power spikes or lightning storms. It is recommended you put a surge suppressor on the panel connected to a VS pump. The drive is one more thing to fail on the pump and is expensive to replace.

Biggest weakness of VS pumps is you now have a computer called the "drive" strapped onto the back of the pump. The electronics can be sensitive to power spikes or lightning storms. It is recommended you put a surge suppressor on the panel connected to a VS pump. The drive is one more thing to fail on the pump and is expensive to replace.

+1 on this. I put one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013WINMK6/ on my subpanel whenI put the VS pump in. Note that it is important to use one that has its own Ground connection on a subpanel (rather than one that uses the neutral line to shunt the power).
No idea whether it will actually make a difference, but my house is on top of a hill. It won't matter if the house or pool is directly struck by lightning, but should help if the strike is just nearby. It is amazing how electricity travels. At school (Electrical Engineering), we actually had to calculate, given a live 10,000V wire lying on the ground, how much current would travel through you if you were standing near it with your legs apart -- most of the current travels through the ground, but a tiny fraction will travel through you (proportional to the distance your feet are apart) and even a small fraction of 10,000V or 100,000V is a lot... and a lightning strike is 1,000,000s of volts.

Thanks all for the help. I’m going to check that article also for other options, but just to confirm a couple things:

1) people tend to have the professionally installed because otherwise you can’t get the warranty. Both pump and swg, correct? Will the cost be obscene or it really depends on your setup? If I get all my plumbing set up for an easy install will I save? If cost is very high plus extra of the high end gear I still might diy, but I just want to understand the recommendations generally on that.

2) I noticed this circupool rj60 plus has lifespan of only 15000 hours. If we assume that I’ll average 18 hour days between running summer and winter, that’s only 2.3 years of use. This means my cost per year is around 650 which will be approx the same for liquid chlorine so no savings. So I might consider liquid chlorine dosing similar in price. Correct?

Thanks!
Here's my clarification:
1) people tend to have the professionally installed because otherwise you can’t get the warranty. Both pump and swg, correct? Will the cost be obscene or it really depends on your setup? If I get all my plumbing set up for an easy install will I save? If cost is very high plus extra of the high end gear I still might diy, but I just want to understand the recommendations generally on that.
Not exactly what I meant. I would say if you're going to use a major brand have it installed so you meet the requirements to get a full warranty or go 3rd party for DIY. For the VS pump and SWG it's the warranty that's important. The choice that's right for you depends on your capability and personal preferences.

Cost of SWG produced Cl Vs liquid chlorine was about a wash last time I checked. Liquid chlorine if you purchase in bulk can be cheaper. Given that the jug-lugging is an easy tie-breaker for me. Not to mention the other ease of care benefits for when you're away etc.

Chris

Reactions: reefpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.