5 pounds/week of dry acid?

Poiks

Bronze Supporter
Jun 22, 2019
McKinney, TX
Hi all,

Over the last two weeks, I've used 10 pounds of dry acid in my pool trying to keep the pH in the right ballpark. This is my first season maintaining a pool so just wanted a sanity check--does this seem reasonable?
As a side note, right out of the tap, our water's pH is off the chart (i.e. higher than 8.0)

What is your TA?

What are you lowering your pH to?

You have spillover or waterfall or bubbler or other water features running?

You have an autofill?

10 lbs of dry acid will lower your pH by 1.9 And TA by 33.

P,

Why are you using Dry Acid rather than Muriatic Acid? We never recommend dry acid..

I suggest you let your pool stay as 7.8 to 8.0 and then only drop to back to 7.7ppm.. The more you try to force it down to 7.2 the more acid it will take and the faster it will try to get back to 8.0..

As Allen points out.. the more you run your waterfall and spa spillover the faster the pH will increase due to aeration.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I personally think muriatic acid works better, more consistently, than dry acid. And it doesn't leave behind the sulphites that dry acid does which are not good on your plaster. Just stand upwind and pour in thin stream in to a moving water return so that it helps dilute and carry it into the water.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.