Can this pool build be saved?

marlam

Jun 4, 2012
Our pool build started on May 17th. Due to other circumstances not a lot was accomplished on the pool other than the shell and plumbing. On July 10th the rain started coming down and our pool "floated" in the shallow end.

Just hearing the description and not seeing the photos yet ... here are my thoughts.

You are paying for a new pool correct?
Then I would not accept any massive repairs jobs that may or may not result in problems in the future. The pool is the builders responsibility until they turn it over to you. I would want them to start from scratch. This could get ugly and result in lawyers involved (as was seen in the on=going fiberglass pool thread), but you really need to think long and hard about the future and what problems could develop and are they going to stand behind their work and not about near term desires.

EDIT: looked at the photos and from your description, the pictures do not really show the damage I expected. A pool that floats will not likely resettle. Did you take pictures showing the floating?

How did it float? Is your water table VERY high? Did you see water during the dig? Did water fill the deep end BEFORE the shallow end moved? Are you sure it floated, and it was not the deep end settling which caused the shallow end to pop up?

Was there any water in the excavation when they dug? What were the soils like? Sandy? Clay? Rock?

Ground water table does not move by feet in a day... it changes very slowly. Was there a lot of clay in the soil? i almost wonder if you have very expansive soils and the rain water did not drain past the clay... caused the soils to expand and exert pressure on the shell...

If I were you, I'd have an engineer out there looking at it before they do anything, to document what happened. You may need that.

Ill say the same advice I say to any person in shoes. Your first step should be to stop talking about it on public forums. As much as we LOVE to help, you could slip up and make a comment that could hurt you in a possible lawsuit. There are wayyyy to many factors for us that we'll never know for us to give you perfect advice. Talk to the pool-builder about your concerns. Let him know your worries..

The videos, and the posts referring to them directly, have been removed at the request of the original poster. JasonLion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.