Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Thought I had a Polaris, but looking at the label it's a Pentair Legend. Seems to do a good job, just have a couple questions.

1. When the cleaner pump is off, is there still supposed to be water running through the line?
2. Are the swivel joints supposed to leak? I think I have 3 swivels, and all 3 leak if you pull the hose out of the water.
(they also don't swivel easily when running)
3. Any precautions about leaving cleaner connected while backwashing or removing water?
4. OK to go a week between emptying bag (as long as it's less than 25% full)?

1. When the cleaner pump is off, is there still supposed to be water running through the line?
I think this is a yes.
2. Are the swivel joints supposed to leak? I think I have 3 swivels, and all 3 leak if you pull the hose out of the water.
I am pretty sure they shouldn't leak. I have only pulled the hose out of the water while it was running a few times and didn't notice them leaking.
(they also don't swivel easily when running)
Can you spin the swivels freely by hand? If not they need to be replaced
3. Any precautions about leaving cleaner connected while backwashing or removing water?
The manual says NOT to leave it attached to the return line while back washing or cleaning the filter. It says to let the filter run for 5 minutes to flush the return lines after back washing before reconnecting.
4. OK to go a week between emptying bag (as long as it's less than 25% full)?
I guess but it only takes about 30 seconds to empty if you let it dry overnight first.

Thanks! Most curious about #3, since my previous pool service never detached it, nor have I since I started DIY. Back-washing doesn't put suction on the return lines does it? That's the only reason I can think of that might make disconnecting necessary. Or it seems that if you turned off the valve "To Pool" when back-washing, that would prevent any possible suction. Much more convenient to turn the valve (near the back-wash valve) than disconnecting the cleaner hose. Am I missing something? I've actually only disconnected it once, and that was just to see how it came off.

Will look for swivel replacements, they turn freely when cleaner is off, but not so much when on. Probably why the hose gets tangled fairly often.

edit: Hopefully I ordered the correct ones, in my search I came up with LLD05PM and D05, both referenced as the item 38 swivel. I ordered the LLD05PM labeled "gray", because mine are gray... Odd the pictures look the same and the D05 is a bit cheaper...

I always disconnect mine and remove the Legend from the pool when not it in use. I leave the quick connect attachment in the return only.

When you back wash, isn't the water flowing into the filter backwards? I would think the water is coming from the returns then. The only other thing I can think of why the Legend shouldn't be attached during back washing is the lines might get filled with air and you don't want to start your Legend with a hose filled with air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.