We take ownership of our new house with pool on Sunday!

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Noob here, please be gentle .. :)

Studying & Reading this forum like crazy! We take ownership of our new house with pool on Sunday! Planning on ditching their pool service ($$) and doing this ourself.

So, it sounds like you are stocking up on gallons and gallons of the things needed for the BBB method. Can you give me an idea of what quanities and the basic stuff I need to stock in my pool house just to get this going? I bought a TF100 test kit that arrives next week.

- Bleach, 6% strength -- just how much of this do you actually go through in a typical month? (full sun, daily swimming).
- Baking Soda - where do you buy "large" boxes of this? I only saw it in the bakers section, small boxes. How much do you actually go through??
- Borax (20 mule team, grocery store)
- CYA (conditioner -Pool Supply store) -- again, what's a good starting quantity?
- Dichlor or Trichlor TABLETS (those floating things, current owner has one) -- Are these still needed if I'm adjusting and adding Bleach?

Any other chemicals that I should stock right away? BORATE ?????

Thanks so much - looking forward to learning from you all.

Most pools average about 2 ppm of chlorine per day. Who much that is in gallons depends on the size of your pool.

You won't necessarily need anything else, though you might. There is no telling which other levels will need adjusting until you have test results.

I recommend staying away from dichlor and trichlor. They do have occasional uses, but it is quite rare.

So far this year I have only had to add stablizer and bleach........with the high temps here near Chicago, I add about a gallon of bleach to my 18000 gallon pool a day.......
Good Luck with your pool..........we love to see pics !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.