They dropped my fiberglass pool!!

Was waiting for an update.

Kind of a odd way to go about a bait and switch though ... I would want the other pool at no additional cost (unless they gave you the option to wait for an equivalent replacement ... of course that means more waiting)

Definitely read the thread posted earlier ... watch the install VERY carefully.

jblizzle said:
Kind of a odd way to go about a bait and switch though ... I would want the other pool at no additional cost (unless they gave you the option to wait for an equivalent replacement ... of course that means more waiting)
That was my thought exactly when I saw moppymo's last post.

The sceptic in me says they have a damaged pool that they bring around, drop, and to get people to buy up a model, or if they accept the pool, then maybe the builder gets to get rid of a previously damaged pool that way? :mrgreen: :blah:

How sure are you that he "made it right"?

linen said:
jblizzle said:
That was my thought exactly when I saw moppymo's last post.

The sceptic in me says they have a damaged pool that they bring around, drop, and to get people to buy up a model, or if they accept the pool, then maybe the builder gets to get rid of a previously damaged pool that way? :mrgreen: :blah:

How sure are you that he "made it right"?
When we get to watch the vid we can judge if it was staged, would be epic scam!

I had my choice of pool and choose one that we had actually considered previously so I don't think they were setting me up for a damaged pool. It is a bit larger and therefore it does indeed cost a bit more and that was part of the reason we opted to not get it. Oh and it is also colored. The one we had here was white. They are cutting the cost down for us a little and I'm ok with just getting it here so we can finish this up. It has been a long week....

They don't seem to be able to get another pool exactly like mine right now and apparently the person who would know if there is on nearby-is out on pool deliveries today. SO... it is a bit strange but at the same time they are trying to get us into a pool ASAP.

The original pool installer was supposed to come on Monday at 7AM but around 2PM that day we received a call that they were not on their way, the man had been hospitalized and was sick. SO, they said they would send a "double" crew the next morning. The following morning four guys showed up and hung out all day-one of which was the sick man who slept in the van all day. Didn't do much as far as work, they had to wait all day on a bobcat thing to dig the hole that they were renting from a local company. They dug for an hour or so late in the afternoon and then just left- without a word to us. I had run into the house to do something but the kids were still outside and they didn't say anything about taking off. Just loaded up and left. They were only about 1/2 way done with the digging and it was still light. They had asked me earlier how late they could work and I assured them that they were fine to work all evening and even past 9. We assumed they ran out for dinner and waited for their return. They didn't return until today.

Then today, they finished the hole and the third sick man stayed in the hotel. The other three worked until they dropped the pool and then I started making calls to figure out what needed to be done. A man from the company came and tried to talk me into keeping the pool saying it was ok structurally. Of course it may look ok today, it is the future of the pool that concerns me.

Another installer and a new pool will arrive in the morning. I am optimistic and hope this is the end of the installation. The first pool is STILL in the ground and needs to be lifted out and the bobcat they rented is still out there in my yard. Hopefully someone will take it all away tomorrow when they bring the new one.

If you're happy with the result, and wind up happy with the pool, that's what matters most! :cheers:

moppymo said:
We will have to pay more money however because the other available pool is more expensive.

On a PERSONAL level:

In absolutely no way is "You'll have to pay more because my folks screwed up and I can't fix it" appropriate or acceptable, imo.

Were it my transaction, I'd let the owner know that he'll have another fiberglass shell of the same type and size, or a superior shell at the same price, delivered to my home by close of business today, or I can extend my custom to another PB.

But that might just be me.

Based on what I have read, if they are going to pull the existing "damaged" shell out of the ground and replace it with a larger, fancier (colored) shell for the cost of the shell upgrade, you are getting a pretty fair deal. I know it's more than the original but he may be eating a bunch of installation, delivery, and crane costs to get it installed. The manufacturer may be eating some of these costs also.

I assume they are leaving the shell in the ground to limit the costs of the crane. The crane can show up, lift out the damaged shell, and swing-in the new shell and install it (along with waiting until the hole is enlarged for the new shell... using that rented bobcat). The crane could do a shell swap on the shell-delivery truck while the digging is going on.

Well, the situation has changed again. Now they can get me a pool like the one we choose and bring it here and pull out the damaged/dropped one and replace it with the new one. I was finally comfortable with the new option that they presented- I think it is a better brand and it was slightly larger but they claim those pools have problems with the gel coat. SO, I can either get the replacement pool-(same style as the one in my ground) or opt to pay a TON more money for one like the gel coat damaged ones but it will take longer and be several thousand more dollars. The ones in the yard with the gel coat issue apparently are discounted because they are last years pools. So frustrating!

BTW- the didn't use a crane at all. Just the bobcat thing. I guess they will pull this one out and replace it with the new one if I decide which I want to go with and let them know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please review this: new-fiberglass-pool-is-full-of-cracks-help-t43101.html

Somewhere in there ( I could not just find it) it describes the correct way to set a fiberglass pool. It sounds like a crane is required as you have to set the pool in and out of the hole multiple times to ensure the support is correct. I can not see how that could be done with a bobcat.

Well they told me that they will bring a crane tomorrow. However, today they used a bobcat- the pool is 13 x 29. They are coming up with all kinds of reasons the colored gel coated Viking(made) pools are not good. Gel Coat issues.... ? We decided we'd take one even with the gel coat issue and repair it but now they say there are additional issues. ARG. I'm not sure if they are coming up with stuff as we go so they don't have to sell us one of these-I'm guessing they will loose a bit of money on selling us one of those rather than the original style.

I wish it was that easy Samantha.

Does anyone know if re-gelcoating a pool is a big deal? Apparently the old gel coat needs to come off first? Sounds like both of the pools at the lot have similar issues.... it will be interesting to see if they still have these issues in a few weeks after they finish installing my pool. I wonder if they don't want to sell me one of them since they are nicer than what we started with in the first place or if they are indeed messed up.

I guess I could run to the pool yard- it is a drive- and look at the pools myself to see what sort of issues they have. I'm just frustrated.

moppymo said:
I wish it was that easy Samantha.

Does anyone know if re-gelcoating a pool is a big deal? Apparently the old gel coat needs to come off first? Sounds like both of the pools at the lot have similar issues.... it will be interesting to see if they still have these issues in a few weeks after they finish installing my pool. I wonder if they don't want to sell me one of them since they are nicer than what we started with in the first place or if they are indeed messed up.

I guess I could run to the pool yard- it is a drive- and look at the pools myself to see what sort of issues they have. I'm just frustrated.

To me, considering what they have told you, the number of times they have changed their minds and stories, if I were investing that much money in something, it would be that simple, yes I might be greatly inconvenienced but the last thing you want is to end up in the same situation as those other folks on here that now have a totally screwed up pool concreted into their backyard and are now looking at legal action to get it resolved.

Right now you have more options than you will have if you allow this situation to go any farther, and the longer you allow the store/builder/factory to drag it out and sweet talk you into making a decision you will end up regretting the harder it will be to get it made right.

Are you paying for a "New" pool or one that has been "Refurbished"?

It totally sucks, but right now I would say you are still in charge of the situation, I suggest you go Pro_Active and Stay In Charge.

It doesn't really cost anything to go look at what your options are at the pool yard (Viking's I assume). At least you will get a good look at what your options are... not just the ones they are presenting to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.