CYA dissolved in filter sock, should it register right away?

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Trying to get the CYA level up for my conversion to salt. Ive added about 6 lbs of granular CYA to my 22K gallon pool, yet none is registering on the test. I also had a couple pucks leftover from last year and dissolved those through my inline chlorinator.

I added it via a skimmer sock full of the granules hanging in front of one of the returns. For 4 lbs of it, it only took a few hours to dissolve (I would go back to it every 30 minutes and shake it up to shuffle everything around)

I added this all about 14 days ago but a test tonight shows no (or very very little) CYA. I figured I should be at about 30 by now...is that just too low to be reading? Im using the original PoolForum version of the TF test kit, if the hardware makes any difference. Im testing it by adding the CYA reagent to the pool water, mixing gently for 30 seconds then letting it sit for 30 seconds and reading (I just read that it might be a better idea to let it sit for up to 10 minutes for a more accurate reading)

Re: CYA dissolved in filter sock, should it register right a

You need to give CYA a week to dissolve and fully register on the test. 14 days is more than enough. The CYA test tends to read anything below 20, or occasionally 30, as zero. So your CYA could maybe be in the 20s, but not much more than that. It is good to give it a final shake right before mixing. An extra minute or two of waiting is good, but there is no reason to wait 10 minutes before reading the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.