4400 gallon above ground pool.

Pliman

Sep 10, 2019
Knoxville, TN
Thanks in advance. I keep getting algae. I use bleach to sanitize. Since I have a sand filter I have to vacuum to waste to get rid of algae. In my case this means practically empting out the pool. Which means I am literally starting over every weekend. I desperately need diection. I test almost everyday however the results are always high ph and in many instances high clorine. I shock and it does not remove the algae just brings the clorine levels sky high off the scale. I use the pool calculator to determine how much acid to bring the ph down. However the algae comes back and I start this crazy cycle all over again.

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and also a lot of other good info in Pool School.

You need to perform the SLAM Process. It is not a one time thing, or product that will work magically like you're expecting when you "shock" the pool as you've been doing. Also, those test strip are junk. Seriously, they're less than useless. You can throw them out. It's essential to have a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared. We often recommend the TF-100 as it's the better deal for what you get. If you're going to SLAM, you may want to get the XL Option since you will be testing and adding chlorine a lot and probably will need more reagents.

Once you complete your SLAM, you will need to maintain your chlorine levels according to FC/CYA Levels. Adding bleach daily and proper testing is key. Theres no reason to ever get algae if you use TFP methods.

Maybe these will help explain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.