Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help raising PH and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Help raising PH and TA

FC: 18
    CC: .5
    TA: 70
    PH: 7.0
    CH: 60 (should I be concerned about this?)
    CYA: 50-60

When I tested before shock cycle the PH was reading 7.2, I believe the test is bleaching out now but I still want to raise it due to the rains we received last night. So how much washing soda should i put in to raise the PH .3 PPM? I read Chem Geeks explanations but I cant wrap my head around what is needed for my pool..
    Also, should I be concerned about my extremely low CH level?

Thank you!
    26000 Gallon Vinyl in ground pool
    1.5 HP Pump
    Sand Filter (with a bit of DE)
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWCG

But I like driving to the lake!

2. Back To Top    #2

Assuming your numbers are correct and that the pH is really 7.0 (TA is 70 and CYA is 55), then it would take 85 ounces weight (5.3 pounds) of 20 Mule Team Borax in your 26,000 gallon pool and will also raise your TA to 77. If you already had some pH Up (sodium carbonate or Washing Soda) product and wanted to use that instead, then you would need 43 ounces weight (2.7 pounds) and this will also raise your TA to 82.

Note that if you are starting with a pH of 7.2, then the above amounts will raise your pH to 7.66 which is why the calculation is not straightforward. It depends on your starting pH, TA and CYA levels (and Borates, too).

The safe thing to do is to add less then you need, let it circulate and equilibrate for a few hours, then retest (or just test the next day).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Chem Geek, you are always so helpful to everyone. I appreciate your quick and thorough response.
    1.5 HP Pump
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4
    Your low CH is not a problem at all, since you have a vinyl pool. You only need to be concerned if it gets around 500.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5
    pH does not 'bleach out' with high santizer levels when using liquid reagents but can read higher than it actually is because of a chemical interaction between the pH indicator and the chlorine or bromine in the water. If you were getting pH readings of 8.0 or higher I would suspect this interaction but since your pH is reading low I would start raising it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you Mermaid Queen, that is what i though but it just seemed so low and the pool store was talking about how its bad for the pump parts...
    1.5 HP Pump
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7
    Now that you mention pump parts, I seem to recall something about heaters... I don't know about either, only that a liner pool does not have a Ca requirement.

Someone else will be along to add to my lack of information!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you Waterbear! I'll start raising my PH and TA tonight then!
    1.5 HP Pump
    Goldline Aqua Rite SWCG