CYA seems waaaaaay too low.

Bama Rambler said:
A thought occured to me. When testing for CYA you are mixing equal parts of R-0013 and pool water and swirling according to the directions aren't you?
Yes. I'm following the directions exactly. Fill the bottle to the first line (I think the number was 7, but I don't have the kit with me) with pool water, then to the second line (think it was 14) with the R-0013, mix and then slowly put into small tube until black dot disappears.

From my friend Bernard on another pool forum, here's a trick to measure down to 10 ppm (and up to 150 ppm) CYA:

For the 30-100 ppm view tube (Taylor (9197): Mix 3.5 mL pool water and 3.5 mL CYA Standard Solution and proceed as usual, adding 7 mL R-0013, cap, mix and pour into the view tube.
If the dot disappears at 30 ppm, there's 10 ppm CYA in the pool water.
If the dot disappears at 100 ppm, you have 150 ppm CYA in the pool water.
In other words, dilute the CYA Standard Solution 1:1 with pool water and proceed with testing.

For the 20-100 ppm view tube (Taylor 9193): Use one quarter of Standard Solution and three quarters of pool water and proceed by adding your R-0013 etc.
If the dot disappears at 20 ppm, there's 10 ppm CYA in the pool water.

I ran my tests this morning. I've got 6ppm of FC (after a full day of sunlight and no CYA) and 0ppm of CC.

I bought some stabilizer on Tuesday night and I'll be adding it tonight.

I think everything is good now. I've got no CC and the water isn't cloudy. Yay!

Sounding good. When you say your "water isn't cloudy", does that mean it is not entirely clear yet? Typically our recommendation is to stay a shock level until you pass all three finished shocking criteria simultaneously (see my sig).

For adding the cya, I would use the "put it in a sock in front of the return" method. Remember to calculate carefully and undershoot a little to start...easy in but drain/refill out.

Sorry, the water is clear. I have stuff in the water (debris, etc.) that needs to be cleaned out, but it's clear other than that.

I'm having trouble getting enough suction to my vacuum, so I'm having trouble sucking the sand out of the bottom of my pool (leftover from when the filter was broken) as well as some other debris/dirt. Hopefully I'll get that fixed or at least get the sand out of there with the little suction that I have in the next few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.