New Pool. Don't know where to start

May 6, 2012
I am going to have a 24 foot ag pool installed next week and I don't know where to go from there. It is about 15,000 gallons and it will have full sun all day. I am not sure if I should use chlorine pucks or liquid chlorine. When I first get it filled what are the first things that I should do in order to get it ready? What are better test strips or the drop testers? How often should I run the pump? I am getting a lot of different advice on everything. Please help.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

There are many different ways to do things, and many of them work. For example, you can easily run the pump longer than you really have to and nothing will go wrong aside from spending some extra money on electricity.

The first thing to do is to get a good test kit (drop based, see the recommended test kits list at Pool School) and test the TA and CH levels of your fill water. That will tell you if either level is going to need to be adjusted right away or if there are likely to be issues with CH going forward.

Also, do some reading in Pool School. Many of your questions, and questions you haven't thought of to ask, are answered there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.