question about adding chemicals

Don't worry about it. Sounds like you might not have killed all the algae when you shocked it. Why would you take your water to be tested at the pool store? You have one of the best kits out there now?

Trying to keep my FC a little high to get rid of the foam but it seems to make it worse. Gonna measure FC again after the sun goes all the way down, then measure again in the morning. But the water seems to be getting better and better as the day goes by.

Is there any way maybe you've got air in the system somewhere or us the water level low? Listen around the pump and any joints in your pipes for an air "sucking" sound. It's a long shot...but one I've had several times.

No air leaks as far as I can tell, but the water level is getting a little low. I thought about adding some in earlier but didn't know how that would effect things. So you think that may be causing it?

Tested at 6:30 and I was at 24.5. At 10:30 I'm at 21.5. Going to raise it to around 30 for the night. Should I also add some water at some point?

I'm with maxepr1......if it's just a touch low and no air is entering into the skimmer then you're fine. If it's like the pool I take care of and there's a TON of air entering into the pump via the skimmer then you'll get foam. That is if you can get the skimmer to work at all. :D

Alright guys, put some water in today....still got a little foam which doesn't appear to be a huge problem. Just brushed for the day and it's dark so I cut on the pool light. The water looks white and cloudy. I'm at 22.5 FC and am gonna leave it there to see what it does overnight. Seems all the improvement was in the first 48 hours, so I suppose now I'm just waiting for the filter to do it's thing. That waiting game is gonna wear on me :) So I'm hoping I'm at least close to 22.5 in the morning to let me know that algea is close to being gone. Go night to all!!

I think your assessment of your pool water is probably right......you have likely killed everything and now just have to wait on your filter.

Help it however you can...frequent brushing, frequent vacuuming, bacwash/clean, etc. Anything you can do to speed the cleaning process.

So it's 7:00 am and my FC is at 22, down .5 and my CC is still at 1. I would've thought that may have changed to .5 or 0. But I guess it does that when the water is filtered out? I brushed, backwashed and added enough bleach to get me to lunch time today. At this point, how long should I keep the water above shock level? I have 5 more 1.82 gallon bottles of bleach left, and I guess that'll last me a day or two at this point, but when is it okay to bring that FC down? Do I need to wait until CC is 0? Thanks again, I couldn't have done this without you guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why don't you leave it one more night ? That should insure you have killed everything completely.

Keep brushing, stirring, vacuuming, filtering, etc. I'll bet your CC's are .5 tomorrow AM.

You clearly have it almost whipped. What does your water look like?

The water has a thin layer of the foam on top covering almost the entire pool. But when I brush it's mostly cloudy looking. It mostly looks white to grayish, but does appear blue greenish in areas. My liner is kinda dark so it could be affecting that. It looks blue around the edge of the liner and turns cloudier from there. That's the best I can describe it. Don't know if that helps or not.

Just got home and FC was at 21 from what I put in at lunch time today. That's actually shock level for me so I was gonna leave it for the night. Checked CC and it was .5!!! :party:
Wasn't thinking though and ran some water in while I was brushing, right after testing. Only ran for 10 or 15 mins. so I don't know if that'll affect my test in the morning. Here are two new pics. Second one is a close up of the water so maybe you guys could see what it looks like better than my description.

Attachments

• pool 6.JPG
    pool 6.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 46
  • pool 5.JPG
    pool 5.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 45
That foam has got to go and chlorine is the thing that will eventually get it. Have you used an agaecide in the pool? That causes foaming frequently.

Regardless, you'll need to keep your FC up there until the foaming subsides and then we'll all hope for some dramatic improvement.

I didn't put an algeacide in, but I can't say for sure if the pool guy did or not when he was here last Thursday. I was assuming it would go away after I brought the FC back down. But your saying the bleach will get rid of it? Do I need to keep it at shock until the foam goes away too?

Ok, no problem. Although my wife keeps asking me about the liner. Is all this bleach gonna fade our vinyl liner?

ETA: Just went out for my morning check, and my FC was down from last night. When I checked last night it was at 21, right at shock. But this morning it had dropped to 16.5. I added some water right after I put in the bleach, but I don't know if that would've done anything. CC is still at .5 which makes me happy. And the foam is still there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.