Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2022
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My spa heater is being installed tomorrow, however my 40 yr old 1" thick concrete pad has disintegrated where it should go. What are the best alternatives to pouring a slab?

PXL_20221203_164302446 (Large).jpg PXL_20221203_164318421 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
They make precast concrete pads for about $100. They are usually foam core and break down in the elements eventually but will buy you the next 5+ years not thinking about it.

They also make plastic pads which will likely break down in a similar timeframe in the DFW sun.

Reactions: david_
Do it right and do it once.
This cannot be overstated. My builder used the 'lightweight' concrete pads the first time and they were breaking down in only a few years. I was about to replace it with a permanent pad when we decided to move.

For the 2nd pool I was better prepared. In the end the poured pad that was over 6 inches thick cost less than the pre-made ones. And I won't have to replumb the whole thing down the road when the heights don't line up after replacement.

Reactions: david_ and JamesW
I agree. If I had prepared better and had more time, a slab would have been the way to go, and I'll probably have to fix what I did. At that time, I'll fix it all.

I couldn't find anyone who sold pre-made anywhere. So I just did 3" gravel, tamped down below 3" 16x16 pavers. My back hurts.

PXL_20221203_2056098212 (Large).jpg PXL_20221203_215514010 (Large).jpg

I'm excited about my Jandy JXI400 propane heater though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lanzz and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.