Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hey all.

My Jandy VSP 2.7HP ePUMP VSSHP270AUT (4 years old) is making a weird noise on startup and continues while running, but sometimes lessens after running for a while, or starting and stopping a few times. My uneducated guess/hope is the impeller is unbalanced or has debris in it. I would imagine a bearing would sound different (?)

The video below is from the 2nd start up, so the whirling/whooshing sounds is not as dramatic, but certainly doesn't go away. Oh, and that loud noise that occurs for the first second or two has been happening since the motor was about 6months old and the installer said that was normal. That has never changed or fluctuated. The new noise only started occurring within the last week or so. We live in San Diego, CA so it never really gets below freezing at night, but its has been an unusually cold winter so far....for whatever that is worth:

I'll try to take a video on 1st startup to catch the noise after the pump hasn't been running overnight.

The sounds seems to be coming from the impeller area or maybe the nearest bearing in the motor?

I'm a total newbie regarding pumps/motors and have just started to do some reading to see what it would take to detach the motor from the plastic pump housing so I can inspect the impeller. When I reach through the basket the impeller spins and doesn't feel like there is anything in there, but I have no reference to how freely it should spin.

Anyone recommend any troubleshooting steps, or is there a Jandy Service Manual I could follow in terms of dismantling, torque setting for reinstalling, etc?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Please post your video on YouTube and post a link to it. Many of us will not view links from other sites.

Jandy is not helpful for DIY repairs.

Ok. I can understand there are a lot of wierd/suspect looking URLs these days. That URL was just the Shortened version for google photos. I edited the URL in the original post to be the YouTube version I just uploaded. Please take a listen.

Last edited:
Also might be worth checking the cooling fan at the back of the motor.

Also might be worth checking the cooling fan at the back of the motor.

i'll check it, but the sound doesn't appear to be emanating from the back of the unit.

What RPM is the pump running at during the video?

How does the sound change when you reduce the RPM?

What RPM is the pump running at during the video?

How does the sound change when you reduce the RPM?
the rpm is 2850. when dropping down to 1650, the frequency of the noise reduces as well. not the loudness of the noise, just the repetition isn't as fast. The noise is proportional to the rpm. I will grab a better video first thing tomorrow morning.

Get used to it when temps get down to 40F or below. 😬I'm considering constructing some sort of soundproof box.....but then spring comes along and all is forgiven and forgotten. I've resorted to running the pump at or below 1000 RPM overnight since the noise is greatly diminished at that speed. Then I run it for a couple hours at 2750 in the afternoon for the cleaner. My pump has south exposure so I'm usually noise-free in the afternoon.

If ever you solve the mystery, please share!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get used to it when temps get down to 40F or below. 😬I'm considering constructing some sort of soundproof box.....but then spring comes along and all is forgiven and forgotten. I've resorted to running the pump at or below 1000 RPM overnight since the noise is greatly diminished at that speed. Then I run it for a couple hours at 2750 in the afternoon for the cleaner. My pump has south exposure so I'm usually noise-free in the afternoon.

If ever you solve the mystery, please share!
I think you are onto something. At this time of the year I don't schedule the pump to start until noon, but have noticed the noise only when turning it on in the morning when it has been cold. Obviously something doesn't like the cold very much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.