4 weeks in

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
Just moved and installed a new pool and I'm a little unfamiliar with the Saltron Retro system; but it can't be that much different than others in principle.
FC:5.5
PH: 7.8
TA:110
CYA:70
I know how to adjust the PH and TA, but I was curious what the forums thoughts were on the FC of 5.5. I think that is just fine. I leave my pump running 24 hours a day and the setting of the Saltron is 20 hours. I also haven't gotten my first electric bill lol.

I know some will say its not necessary to leave the pump running 24 hours; but let's assume that I do. Is the chlorine too high? If so, I can't find anything in the owners manual that indicates what to turn the hours of operation down to.

Hardly "too high" seeing as the CYA/FC chart says 5ppm is ideal. I'd let it ride.

Does this Saltron Retro system allow for changes in the percentage? Is it running continuously also (100%)??

If so you either have something in the water chewing thru your FC, or its undersized for the pool.

Maddie :flower:

Addendum- Just Googled this Saltron Retro SWG....it is seriously basic and barely powerful enough for your sized pool. I would supplement with liquid chlorine whenever you need a quick FC injection. Keep a close eye on testing so you can monitor a problem if it develops in the earliest stages.

Reactions: cfclay
cf,

Hi, I'm not familiar with the Saltron Retro so I looked it up and does appear to work like several other "over the side" chlorinators. Even though they rate it for 20,000 gal that's barely enough if you run 24 hours per day. It will only generate a little under 2.3 ppm running at 100% all day. This is part of the reason TFP recommends a minimum rating of 2x your pool volume. You should monitor FC closely and have some liquid available to supplement. Pools often use more than 2 ppm per day during peak summer use.

Chris

*** Edit, the website indicates it generates .4 lb per day chlorine

Last edited:
Reactions: cfclay
cf,

Hi, I'm not familiar with the Saltron Retro so I looked it up and does appear to work like several other "over the side" chlorinators. Even though they rate it for 20,000 gal that's barely enough if you run 24 hours per day. It will only generate a little under 2.3 ppm running at 100% all day. This is part of the reason TFP recommends a minimum rating of 2x your pool volume. You should monitor FC closely and have some liquid available to supplement. Pools often use more than 2 ppm per day during peak summer use.

Chris

*** Edit, the website indicates it generates .4 lb per day chlorine

Thanks! It sounds like there's some information on the website that I couldn't get from reading the manual, and I was reading the manual online, but I downloaded it from another source. It does seem problematic with the limited amount of chlorine it will generate. I'm going to have to give this a closer read.

cf,

If you can deal with the power bill I'd be tempted to run it 'till the cell fails and replace with a larger unit later on. But you may find there's a payout on the power bill reduction from getting another cell. If you're running 1.5 hp 24 hrs per day at 10 cents per KW your power bill will go up by about $150/mo. You should also make sure you have the upper end of CYA to conserve your FC..

Good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.