4 Weeks and Counting on Start-Up...HELP!

Jun 28, 2018
Indiana
A little background...we bought this house 4 years ago, and I have no idea when the pool was installed (see pool details in signature).
Year 1: Ready to go because of previous owners bought in October; learned quickly how to close ourselves
Year 2: Took a bit, but was ready by end of Junish
Year 3: Pump problems, had to replace, didn't start up until mid July; never really got the hang of it
Year 4: Started pump on Memorial Day and began shocking a week after; continued various shock, vacuum, backwash, adjust ph, alkalinity, added clarifier and stabilizer (not in any particular order over the last 4 weeks) while off and on reading forums in which I finally decided to write things down...so here goes.

My pool looks clear in the shallow end, but green in the deep end.
6/27 Vacuum and added 1 1/2 gal of Chlorine (Sodium Hypo, 12.5%) at night

6/28 Chlorine gone by afternoon
Vacuum, brush, and backwash
*I vacuum with a leaf catcher, and I put a shop paper towel in the canister to filter out some silt (see pics)
Tested with Aqua Check Strips
PH 7.4
FC 0
TA 60
CYA 90
1 jug at 3:40 pm

4:12
PH 7.4
FC 3
TA 60
CYA 50
1 jug at 4:17

4:48
PH 7.2
FC 4
TA 50
CYA 40
1 jug @ 4:53

5:22
PH 7.2
FC 5
TA 40
CYA 0
1 jug at 5:24

6:04
PH 7.4
FC 10+?
TA 60
CYA 30
1 jug at 6:04

6:34
PH 7.6
FC 10
TA 60
CYA 20
*Switched to TF-100 Testing; results are as follows
PH 7.8
Br 10+
FC 18
TA 70
CC 0.5
CYA <20 (Top of tube)

7:54 TF-100 test
FC 15
CC 0.5

10:14 (Sun is down) TF-100 test
FC 15
CC 1

My questions are....am I on the right track? How long should I hold FC above 5? What is the next step? Is the red silt metals? Should I add metal out? Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks!IMG_20180628_153427.jpgIMG_20180628_153440.jpgIMG_20180628_174207.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Good job on getting a proper test kit.

Did you raise your CYA to 30 ppm prior to initiating the SLAM Process? If not, add enough CYA powder to add 20 ppm to your pool.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't put the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Once you have started dissolving the CYA, assume your CYA is 40 ppm and use FC 16 ppm as your SLAM level.
Be sure to test FC and dose with liquid chlorine every couple hours until the FC holds and then you can lengthen out that time. But do at least 4 test/dose each day.

Run your pump 24 /7 during this. Brush, vac, etc daily.

Get the SLAM completed to the finish before concerning yourself about metals if they are an issue.

Welcome to the forum!

Good job on getting a proper test kit.

Did you raise your CYA to 30 ppm prior to initiating the SLAM Process? If not, add enough CYA powder to add 20 ppm to your pool.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't put the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Once you have started dissolving the CYA, assume your CYA is 40 ppm and use FC 16 ppm as your SLAM level.
Be sure to test FC and dose with liquid chlorine every couple hours until the FC holds and then you can lengthen out that time. But do at least 4 test/dose each day.

Run your pump 24 /7 during this. Brush, vac, etc daily.

Get the SLAM completed to the finish before concerning yourself about metals if they are an issue.
Thanks for helping lead me in the right direction. I did add stabilizer a week prior to the SLAM I'm working on, but I don't think I did it very well, the levels stayed, or I can't complete this test correctly. I'll start first thing in the AM! I only have a pole attachment manual vacuum. I can't reach the middle of the shallow or the bottom of the deep end without getting in it. I assume that I can't get back in until FC reaches 4 or less. Open to suggestions here. Thanks again!

I assume that I can't get back in until FC reaches 4 or less.

You have probably heard that from pool stores or other places. It is not true.

You are safe to swim in a pool when your FC is above minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You also need to be able to see the bottom of the deep end of the pool.

As I have a SWCG I maintain my pool at FC of 6 ppm and CYA of 70. You would never know there is chlorine in the water.

I suggest you take some time to read Trouble Free Pool School

You have probably heard that from pool stores or other places. It is not true.

You are safe to swim in a pool when your FC is above minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You also need to be able to see the bottom of the deep end of the pool.

As I have a SWCG I maintain my pool at FC of 6 ppm and CYA of 70. You would never know there is chlorine in the water.

I suggest you take some time to read Trouble Free Pool School

Thank you for all of your help. I woke up this morning to a blue pool! What a great feeling. If only I had known how to really SLAM weeks ago. I will read up on Trouble Free Pool School on safe swimming under SLAM level. I've been blindly vacuuming all this time.

6/29 @7:45
FC 10
CC 0.5
Added 1 jug of chlorine

@8:30
FC 13
Added 1 jug of chlorine

Working my way to 16 before I put the sock in. Just hoping I get there before the sun is really out. How long should I wait to vacuum after putting in stabilizer? Thanks again!

Get the additional CYA in the water now. Your chlorine is being consumed by the sun at a rapid rate with your very low CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

You can vacuum all you want as long as you are adding the CYA in the method I described above. I assume you are NOT vacuuming to waste. If you are, that is OK, just realize you need to test CYA after every 3 or 4 vac to waste sessions.

Okay, I read the articles, and now have a couple more questions...

CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock per the article...so should I not be trying to test it until it is fully dissolved? I measured the proper amount, I just don't want to over do it; which I guess is why I was told to add 20 ppm, just in case there was some left from earlier. I think I vacuumed and backwashed it all out and/or the algae or sun at it all up.

Also, I'm running the pump on circulate while adding CYA. I hope this is okay.

Do not test for CYA until a full 24 hours after the powder is fully dissolved from the sock. 48 hours is better.

Just assume the CYA is in there. If you put it in the water, it is there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, where do we go from here? Yesterday, I began to add 4 lbs of Stabilizer at 10:30 a.m. Throughout the day I added chlorine to keep FC at or above 16. Stabilizer didn't completely dissolve until after midnight. This morning at 7:50, FC 13, so I vacuumed and then added 1/2 gal of chlorine at 8:50. By 9:40, FC 17.5, but by 3:15 FC was 6. It was a hot, sunny day (90 degrees). We have no coverage over the pool. Between 6 and 8, I tested FC twice, both around 2.

8:15
FC 2.5
TA 70
CC 0.5

Do I adjust TA now before adding more chlorine? How much chlorine should I add? Thanks.

Good morning! The pool is somewhat in order, but now I'm leaving for vacation. I will be gone a week, but will have someone coming by to check on it if needed. This person has zero experience with pools. Do you have any simple advice that we could keep the pool somewhat manageable while we are away? Thank you.

As you are not complete with your SLAM you are looking to not let it get much worse.

Have them add 5 ppm of LC to the pool each evening. Pump running.

Yes, we will leave the pump running 24/7 while we are away. It's supposed to rain most of the time while we are gone, so "fingers crossed" it's still blue by the time we get back. Such poor timing for a vacation, but we've had it planned now for months. Thanks for the advice. It's better than going at it blindly and alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.