4 vs 3 wedding cake steps for inground gunite pool?

Jul 30, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Our pool design has permanent wedding cake stairs in the 3.5 foot deep shallow end; the pool builder recommends 3 steps, which will be an initial 10" drop from the pool deck, and 12" drops thereafter. We have parents in their 70s (with bad hips) who will be using the pool regularly and want them to be comfortable getting in and out, as there will be no handrail. Are you happy with 3 steps or would you have 4 if you could re-do them? The design wouldn't look good with half steps, so the only real option is to do 4 steps instead of 3. We realize that the buoyancy of the water will help with the drops, but can people chime in on their experiences and what they'd do in an ideal situation? Thanks.

I'll tell you what I do recommend. Handrails. I wish to god I had put them in for the same reason, elderly parents. You should reconsider the handrail. They will add the sleeve to the deck and the railing is removable when you don't want to use it. They cost WAY more to put them in after the pool is done.

I also recommend a shallow first step. The steps on a pool are deceptive to their depth and you can seriously injure yourself if you misjudge a step and think it is shallower than it is.

4 steps will be more "comfortable" and will feel more natural, but they will also consume another foot or so of your pool floor for the entire width of the bottom step because for each separate rise (vertical elevation change), you also have to have a run (flat surface in the horizontal).

I have a 4ft depth. Here's my 4 steps each spaced evenly at 10.5". Initially I had a 10.5" from the deck, followed by a 8.5" for the first step to the bench, then (3) 12" steps below that. It was dangerous to have different rise for steps in the same feature. I made them chip out some of the steps and put a finish grout on them to make them all even before applying plaster.

Ko6lYSH.jpg

HnQCo7g.jpg

I honestly feel that no handrail is more of an issue for you than the number of steps. Trust me, your parents won't be getting younger or more agile as time goes on. Without a handrail, getting in for them may be difficult....getting out even more so. If you originally didn't plan for a HR because of aesthetics, Poolgate's solution of a removable rail makes sense. In when you need it (for older folks), out when you don't.

I had knee replacement and achilles rupture surgery (3 surgeries in one year, oy!) and if we hadn't had a handrail there would have been NO way for me to get in/out.

Why do you want to go without safety rails?

If you are into artsy designed ones you can find them too on the Internet ($cha-ching!)

Maddie :flower:

I strongly recommend a hand rail. As others said, pretty, “design” ones are available. Our pool is 4 feet in the shallow end with 4 steps. The number of steps has little impact on ease of getting in and out of the pool. We do not have a handrail. Elderly relatives cannot get in and out of ours without assistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.