4 months in, very unhappy - help me learn?

Sorry to sound harsh but how do you intend to keep it that way? Pool Service? DIY? If you do nothing, it will revert back.
We have had a pool service since day 1 of the fill. As this is our first pool and our first season with such pool, we are relying on "experts" to assist with this until we feel more comfortable with the DIY aspect.

In the meantime, we're brushing twice a day until we feel like our water metrics are where we need them to be to ensure we're not getting any more dirt, algae, or anything else as we "start back up".

100% understand we need to continue maintaining.

Hon, brushing won't increase your FC (free chlorine) level, which is what keeps algae away.
I barely spend 10 min a week on my pool care
-The robot brushes for me.
-When I close the autocover it helps me avoid leaves and such.
-I use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator that makes my chlorine for me
-I test and have learned what the test values mean. Hence in 12 years I've never had algae.
-Ten min per week now that I *know* my pool....I've gone to Europe for over 2+ weeks and still have clear water on return.

Do not put anything into your water that you don't understand why you're using it and the result you will get.
We teach you this.
We can't count the number of times pools and equipment lifespans have been shortened by stupid pool companies.

Oh yeah, best of all my pool which remains open 365 days a year costs no more than $150/year to maintain its sparkle.
Please read the TFP Basics link provided by Duraleigh.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Diane e and Bperry
We have had a pool service since day 1 of the fill. As this is our first pool and our first season with such pool, we are relying on "experts" to assist with this until we feel more comfortable with the DIY aspect.

In the meantime, we're brushing twice a day until we feel like our water metrics are where we need them to be to ensure we're not getting any more dirt, algae, or anything else as we "start back up".

100% understand we need to continue maintaining.
Unfortunately you’ll eventually realize the “experts” don’t often live up to their reputation. Like mentioned above, brushing doesn’t do anything for water chemistry and doing it twice a day will get old real fast.

Reactions: proavia
What test kit are you using?
Test Kits Compared
If you intend to keep track of your "water metrics", you will need to test the water yourself - no pool store, pool service or test strips can do that for you.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help specific to your pool without us needing to ask you each time.

Aha! I see one element that is causing you problems- You're adding copper to your water via that FusionSoft device.
Copper = stains. We tell folks its best to remove that individual capsule of copper and other metals.

As a sidenote: when people come to TFP and they use pool service companies, we *still* recommend they monitor their own water quality so as to protect thier investment from clueless techs in a hurry to get to the next pool before lunch. This way you can spot a problem *assuming you can recognize it* before it causes expensive damage.

With your SWG your chlorine levels should follow this chart:
SWG Chart.jpg
The sun WILL take some of your chlorine each day, just burning it off. So if you only have 2ppm, and the sun in Dallas in the summer takes a daily toll of 4ppm..... can you see the problem? Always aim for the target range to allow for loss to the sun and swimmers, and still remaiin with enough free chlorine (FC)

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude
Hon, brushing won't increase your FC (free chlorine) level, which is what keeps algae away.
I barely spend 10 min a week on my pool care
-The robot brushes for me.
-When I close the autocover it helps me avoid leaves and such.
-I use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator that makes my chlorine for me
-I test and have learned what the test values mean. Hence in 12 years I've never had algae.
-Ten min per week now that I *know* my pool....I've gone to Europe for over 2+ weeks and still have clear water on return.

Do not put anything into your water that you don't understand why you're using it and the result you will get.
We teach you this.
We can't count the number of times pools and equipment lifespans have been shortened by stupid pool companies.

Oh yeah, best of all my pool which remains open 365 days a year costs no more than $150/year to maintain its sparkle.
Please read the TFP Basics link provided by Duraleigh.

My thought was that in the meantime, since the plaster was JUST cleaned, brushing it would be the best thing I can do (as opposed to doing nothing) to do SOMETHING until I could get this sorted out. I thought I was clear that I knew something was wrong and that was my reason for coming here.

Unfortunately you’ll eventually realize the “experts” don’t often live up to their reputation. Like mentioned above, brushing doesn’t do anything for water chemistry and doing it twice a day will get old real fast.

Yes, found that today as I was able to get him to come back. He came and did a test strip reading and CYA was okay, and someimtes on a new fill, the city water in that area can help give you what you need. I didn't buy that for a second. I scooped up some water in a container, took it down to Leslies, and found that CYA was at 5.

Called him and cancelled service effective immediately. I used the Leslies readings along with PoolMath app to estimate the amount of CYA and shock to add right now. I've ordered a new Taylor dropper kit so I can do my own quality readings, and I'm taking it over at this point.

What test kit are you using?
Test Kits Compared
If you intend to keep track of your "water metrics", you will need to test the water yourself - no pool store, pool service or test strips can do that for you.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help specific to your pool without us needing to ask you each time.

Just ordered the Taylor. Really didn't want to invest in it before as I was paying someone to do this and theoretically I shouldn't need it. But now I'm taking it over. Will go jot down my equipment details & update signature today so I have more details for folks.

Aha! I see one element that is causing you problems- You're adding copper to your water via that FusionSoft device.
Copper = stains. We tell folks its best to remove that individual capsule of copper and other metals.

As a sidenote: when people come to TFP and they use pool service companies, we *still* recommend they monitor their own water quality so as to protect thier investment from clueless techs in a hurry to get to the next pool before lunch. This way you can spot a problem *assuming you can recognize it* before it causes expensive damage.

With your SWG your chlorine levels should follow this chart:
View attachment 533630
The sun WILL take some of your chlorine each day, just burning it off. So if you only have 2ppm, and the sun in Dallas in the summer takes a daily toll of 4ppm..... can you see the problem? Always aim for the target range to allow for loss to the sun and swimmers, and still remaiin with enough free chlorine (FC)

I had already read about that cartridge on the FusionSoft and had long ago replaced the cartridge with the plug. Also I don't have salt water.

Just ordered the Taylor. Really didn't want to invest in it before as I was paying someone to do this and theoretically I shouldn't need it. But now I'm taking it over. Will go jot down my equipment details & update signature today so I have more details for folks.
Did you order the K2006 or K2006C?
Did you also get a SpeedStir stirring device?

I had already read about that cartridge on the FusionSoft and had long ago replaced the cartridge with the plug. Also I don't have salt water.
You don't have a SWCG - all of us who use chlorine also have salt water.
Chlorine and muriatic acid contain a little salt. Some of us had upwards of 1500-2000 ppm salt after a few years of using chlorine and muriatic acid.

In the long term, you would be best served with a SWCG.

Did you order the K2006 or K2006C?
Did you also get a SpeedStir stirring device?

You don't have a SWCG - all of us who use chlorine also have salt water.
Chlorine and muriatic acid contain a little salt. Some of us had upwards of 1500-2000 ppm salt after a few years of using chlorine and muriatic acid.

In the long term, you would be best served with a SWCG.
I ordered the TF-Pro. It looked like the best option and used Taylor items - is that not a taylor? It does have the speed stir device.

I will look at a SWCG down the road - but having just bought everything something like that isn't quite in the budget today.

I ordered the TF-Pro. It looked like the best option and used Taylor items - is that not a taylor? It does have the speed stir device.

I will look at a SWCG down the road - but having just bought everything something like that isn't quite in the budget today.
Nope - that's the TF-Pro.
I like the TF kits better as they contain more of the reagents a residential pool owner uses most and the reagents are always fresh (something you won't always find in the Taylor kits found online or at pool stores.

Since you have Jandy automation, a Jandy branded SWCG would work best with your system. Should be easy to add whenever your budget allows.

Be sure to add the TF-Pro to your signature so we know what test kit you have.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.