4 month old liquid chlorine

Jun 14, 2018
Long Island NY
Trying to learn TFP method of using bleach and figured now is the best time to convert from pucks since I lowered the FC to zero while I treat the liner with ascorbic acid. The CYA was close to 100 so I drained the pool down to roughly 1 foot above the shallow end to play it safe.

In the meantime I went to homedepot and grabbed 6 boxes (3 gallons/box) of their HDX 10% liquid chlorine. I didn't know how to read the date until I got home but all the boxes are from 1/15/19. Home depot stores this outside and it's been cold since the label date.

Is this a bad purchase and should I return it and look elsewhere for newer stuff?

Was it where the sun could shine on it? It should still be good due to your lower temps. You might want to set the Pool Math FC % a point or two lower if you find you are not making your FC goal. It is up to you if you want to find newer. Some areas a harder to find it than others.

Was it where the sun could shine on it? It should still be good due to your lower temps. You might want to set the Pool Math FC % a point or two lower if you find you are not making your FC goal. It is up to you if you want to find newer. Some areas a harder to find it than others.
All the boxes were on the third tier of a 4 tier shelf (if your familiar with how home depot is setup). I suppose the items on the 4th shelf would block direct sunlight. They store the chlorine in the garden center which has a clear roof

Trying to learn TFP method of using bleach and figured now is the best time to convert from pucks since I lowered the FC to zero while I treat the liner with ascorbic acid. The CYA was close to 100 so I drained the pool down to roughly 1 foot above the shallow end to play it safe.

In the meantime I went to homedepot and grabbed 6 boxes (3 gallons/box) of their HDX 10% liquid chlorine. I didn't know how to read the date until I got home but all the boxes are from 1/15/19. Home depot stores this outside and it's been cold since the label date.

Is this a bad purchase and should I return it and look elsewhere for newer stuff?
You should be fine :)

I hope it is fine because I just bought 30 gallons of the same batch in PA. Some of the hDX brand they had in stock was dated 2018 032, so I had to ask them to get the 2019 015 batch down from the highest shelf! My Hayward 3400 vsp died the same day so I can't say how good the chlorine is yet. Pump is not even a year old...good times

I had to buy some Pool Essentials 10% from Wal-Mart with a 2018 350ish date on it and have been calling it 8% when I do my calculations and it seems to be about right. Just assume it won't be full strength and add some extra to cover yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.